Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Tough is a Kaleidoscope? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-tough-kaleidoscope-t248039.html)

Boston1954 06-06-2014 04:25 PM

How Tough is a Kaleidoscope?

I see them at shows and online, and they are gorgeous! BUT...are they as complicated as they look? Could I do this?

DebraK 06-06-2014 04:36 PM

How long have you been making quilts? If it's not your first quilt, I think anyone can do it with good instructions.

Tartan 06-06-2014 04:38 PM

There are several patterns called Kaleidoscope. Which one are you thinking of doing?

cmrenno 06-06-2014 04:54 PM

I made one many years ago from a book by Bethany Reynolds (Magic Stack n Whack Quilts.) The pattern is called "January Thaw." Its nice pattern because it uses a regular ruler (12-1/2 square.) I recommend the book to understand the process and to help pick out the fabric.
It is very exciting to see the blocks evolve. You will be so surprised at what you get. If you like to read and follow directions you shouldn't have any problems. I have made a lap sized and a miniature and I have been contemplating making another.
I'll tell you a secret. When I made the first one I didn't have the recommended amount of fabric but I was anxious to try the quilt. I cut VERY carefully and the quilt came out fine. In fact I entered the quilt in a local fair and won Best of Show!
So I highly recommend making a Kaleidoscope Quilt! Let me know if you have any questions!!!
Colleen

snipforfun 06-06-2014 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Ricky Tims kaleidoscope I made. I used lots of crystals

DebraK 06-06-2014 05:45 PM

beautiful. So did you find it difficult to do?

Treasureit 06-06-2014 05:47 PM

I did the One Block Wonder and it wasn't too hard. The worst part was getting the fabric stacked PERFECTLY so all the cuts are the same.

The good thing is you make it in strips, so no trying to get through the center with a bunch of seams coming together.

nonnie60 06-06-2014 05:47 PM

There are several books out that are helpful. Try and find a class for your 1st one. They are not hard, but you do need to be exact with cutting. I'm sure you can do it. Please post your pics. I've done several also. You may want to start with a 4 patch posie or the Fan quilt. Good luck.

dunster 06-06-2014 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6747937)
There are several patterns called Kaleidoscope. Which one are you thinking of doing?

Exactly what I was thinking. Many patterns called kaleidoscope... I think OBW is fairly easy, and Ricky Tims' Kool Kaleidoscope pattern is also easy and fun to do. Most of the S&W are also easy, as long as there aren't more than 6-8 layers. However, I did one type of kaleidoscope soon after I started quilting. It was not easy for me at that time, because of the all the small bits that I had to add on to the corners. I think I could manage it more easily now, but not then. Here it is before quilting on the design wall.

dunster 06-06-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6748001)
Here is a Ricky Tims kaleidoscope I made. I used lots of crystals

The quilting on your quilt is spectacular! And the colors - oh my! Really great.