Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would I........... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-i-t54537.html)

DA Mayer 07-14-2010 06:57 PM

I want to use a fabric with a large floral pattern and cut out some of the flower petals and overlap the petals onto the sashing. Has anyone done anything like this? I also wondered about making the outer border pleated or a type of tucked pattern. Any help would be appreciated, so I don't have a camera to show you the fabric.

amma 07-14-2010 07:01 PM

The addition of flowers spilling onto the sashing is a wonderful idea!
I have seen pleated borders, borders made with texture magic, and gathered too, all were stunning :D:D:D

thimblebug6000 07-14-2010 07:49 PM

If you are wanting the flowers to go out into the borders, I'm not sure about making the border textured. How would the appliquéd flowers look, maybe a little bumpy?

DA Mayer 07-14-2010 07:57 PM

The flowers wouln't be over the border,just over the sashing.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-14-2010 08:09 PM

Try a light weight heat & bond, cut out, iron oncut out, applique edges, w/stabilizer or spray tack after you cut out with a stabilizer.
I appliqued over blocks w/stabilizer worked fine, but these were fairly rounded corners. :)

ktbb 07-14-2010 10:41 PM

I have done this technique - it takes a little detailed planning but it's a really cool look. I've never finished the full quilt I started, but have used the technique several times to accent individual blocks in a quilt. If I can find my book, I'll give you the information in case you can find a copy.

The basic technique is to determine the size of your basic block and cut out a template from a see-through material so you can plan your fussy...from there you, well, it's too detailed to explain on a post. I'll have to find the book. Back later.

ktbb 07-14-2010 10:41 PM

I have done this technique - it takes a little detailed planning but it's a really cool look. I've never finished the full quilt I started, but have used the technique several times to accent individual blocks in a quilt. If I can find my book, I'll give you the information in case you can find a copy.

The basic technique is to determine the size of your basic block and cut out a template from a see-through material so you can plan your fussy...from there you, well, it's too detailed to explain on a post. I'll have to find the book. Back later.

ktbb 07-14-2010 11:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, I found the book and some of my blocks. If I"m off base from what you were asking, DA Mayer, just let me know. First, the book to which I refer is "No Boundaries" by Edie McGinnis. It was published in 2004 by Kansas City Star Books.
The following four photos show two completed blocks and the back of one partial block. The circled part of the back of the block was to show how the fusible applique is cut, but not sure if it shows clearly. You use template to fussy cut the block and extension, then make sure to put fusible only on the extension and the seam allowance, then....well it goes on. It was fun to learn, but as you can see I have a UFO on my hands.
Hope this makes some sense.

Theresa 07-15-2010 04:54 AM

Love the effect! May have to try something like this...someday.

DA Mayer 07-15-2010 08:28 AM

that is exactly what I am looking for, thank you