Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you finish this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-finish-t200268.html)

MarthaT 09-12-2012 07:18 AM

How would you finish this?

3 Attachment(s)
A friend gave me this hand-pieced patchwork units and I'm kind of fascinated with doing something with them. They are very inconsistent in size and I really don't want to hand applique them to a base fabric. No way to I want to try to make inset pieces either. I thought maybe I could cut them up into some other shape and sew them together with some muslin background fabrics. Any suggestion as to where to start cutting them. I have no idea who pieced them, so the work has no sentimental value to me. I just like the challenge of not letting them go completely to waste and I like the old fabrics. (Grrr! I'll attach pictures as soon as I can remember how to size them.)

Tartan 09-12-2012 07:24 AM

Hope you can get a picture to load but cutting them and using them will be better than them sitting in a box somewhere.

MarthaT 09-12-2012 07:38 AM

Okay, is the size of these pictures okay? I've taken notes so I will remember next time.

DebraK 09-12-2012 07:48 AM

I would probably sew them down onto something and call it a day. i wouldn't line them up either. i would toss them about like bouncing balls, but that's just me ;-)

jillaine 09-12-2012 07:52 AM

I would not cut them up; too much work has already gone into them. This is a perfect opportunity to practice the curved sewing. C'mon! You can do it! There are great tutorials out there.

Knitette 09-12-2012 07:53 AM

Your pictures are fine. What size are the 'blocks'?

They're saying table runner to me. If you turned four of the segments round the other way, you would have a petal shape.

Alternatively you could use the oval shapes joined at an angle like so ()()()()()()()() Good luck!

QuiltnNan 09-12-2012 07:56 AM

there is so much work involved in a double wedding ring. so much of the work has been done already on your pieces. i'd take the time to applique them onto a background. in any case, show us later what you've done with them.

MarthaT 09-12-2012 08:18 AM

They are about 13 in. square. Each "football" is about 9 in. from point to point. But they are so irregular in size! I'm guessing that's why they ended up on someone's UFO pile and, ultimately, abandoned.

QuiltnLady1 09-12-2012 08:39 AM

I would find a great background color (or colors) that work with the pieces (they are wonderful). I would applique the pieces to the background -- I would use the floor or a design wall to figure out how I want to lay the pieces in the block). Then I would assemble the block. You could either do hand applique, or some version of machine. I think this could be a great quilt.

AlienQuilter 09-12-2012 08:51 AM

I would machine applique them using black thread and blanket stitch. Use fusible or 505 spray to baste it in place. Do you have a large piece of fabric left over, maybe some backing fabric not used. Maybe you could just make a whole cloth sandwich then be quilting and appliqueing at the same time.