Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t163906.html)

annesthreads 10-28-2011 08:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This quite big wall hanging of Christmas baubles is made with all straight pieces but looks as if it has curves. How would you quilt it? I think an all-over pattern would spoil the effect. I'm wondering about stitch in the ditch round each of the baubles and the borders. Would that be enough quilting? Would it take away the curved effect? Any other ideas? I can do SITD and fairly simple FMQ.

Kitsie 10-28-2011 08:29 AM

SID to make the it look even more like a cut crystal ornament. Very attractive!

QuiltnNan 10-28-2011 08:37 AM

i would quilt around each bauble and quilt some light meandering or some such in the white spaces

Crqltr 10-28-2011 08:44 AM

gorgeous! I agree with QuiltnNan. I think it need a little something in the white area also. It is very pretty and diffent.

luvspaper 10-28-2011 08:45 AM

Agree with going/flowing around the ornaments...I would consider a thread that sparkles a bit too.

But I would do heavier quilting in the background so the ornaments really pop.

It's really a gorgeous top!

Buckeye Rose 10-28-2011 08:58 AM

I think I would do SITD around each ornament and then a small stipple in each white area of each ornament. It will make the colored areas stand out and will make the white areas look like a different finish....kinda like the "frosted" ornaments. JMHO

QuiltingGrannie 10-28-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
This quite big wall hanging of Christmas baubles is made with all straight pieces but looks as if it has curves. How would you quilt it? I think an all-over pattern would spoil the effect. I'm wondering about stitch in the ditch round each of the baubles and the borders. Would that be enough quilting? Would it take away the curved effect? Any other ideas? I can do SITD and fairly simple FMQ.

I would stitch in the ditch around the outside of each large ornament, inside the white/light areas of each ornament and then on the outside area of the ornament do a fmq of Christmas ornaments to accent them even more. Use a white or light color thread so as not to take away from any of the piecing you have done.

It's a beautiful wall hanging! Nice job. Looking forward to seeing it when you have it complete.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

annesthreads 10-28-2011 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm glad you agree with my idea of SITD around the baubles, and I think those of you who've suggested some light quilting on the background are right: it's a rather dull green, and it would be good to give it more interest.

Murphy 10-28-2011 11:36 AM

This is lovely. It looks like it would be fun to create. You did a beautiful job. Thank you for sharing.

nycquilter 10-28-2011 12:47 PM

how about McTavishing the background in a sparkly thread? and then the ornaments would really pop.