Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HQ 16 long arm by Handi Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hq-16-long-arm-handi-quilter-t112385.html)

mizkyp 03-31-2011 03:04 PM

What do you think of it? I'm looking at a used one and have no idea what to look for. Help please!

PegD 03-31-2011 03:18 PM

I have one, and like it. Not very good at it, but it works good, and is easy to use. I bought mine used also.

nycquilter 03-31-2011 03:19 PM

I bought mine about three years ago. I did not get any training with the purchase so my learning curve was a tad long. Now, however, I'm really getting it. I love my HQ with stitch regulator. If you can afford it, go for it. I quilted two quilts last weekend in one day!

pstoner 03-31-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
What do you think of it? I'm looking at a used one and have no idea what to look for. Help please!

I got mine in November, I love it. Used to think that I wanted something bigger (18-24) but have decided that my arm reach is only so long anyway. After talking with other quilters on yahoo groups I am very happy with my purchase. I also purchased mine used. Mine was a year old (not sure the age of the one that you are considering), it's stitch regulated, and I received the bobbin winder, six bobbins, and 40 needles for under 5K, free delivery and 3 hours of training, on the professional portable table (10 foot-can be lengthened to 12-14 with upgraded tracks).

I would ask about last service date and if possible (see service receipt), will you be or have you been able to test drive it? What table are you getting with it? Is it stitch regulated? What extras are included? Warranty (check w/HQ)? What tracks are included (new or used)? Check the stitch count (how high) (this tells you how much it has been used)? Check the bobbin casing (look for wear and tear, also look for chips and wear on the tracks). Check the needle plate for nicks and dings.

Those are the top things that I can think of

SueDor 04-01-2011 02:23 AM

I love mine, would get any quilts done without it.

AliKat 04-01-2011 08:49 AM

I love mine. It was gently used. A LQS actually gave me lessons as I took my sewing machines there for servicing.

You can get the HQ 'how to' video by calling HQ. It might be free [mine was.]

HQ support is awesome. One HQ owner has never taken her machine in but has called HQ and been walked through any problems she ever encountered - which were very few.

Maybe you can find a dealer in your area and hook up with other HQ users. One of our LQS's actually had a HQ users group for a while.

ali

Mariposa 04-01-2011 09:07 AM

I've had mine for 3 years, and I love it! A wonderful machine, and HQ has fabulous customer service!
Go for it girl! :)

mizkyp 04-01-2011 11:52 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm going to check it out. I'll let you inlw how it goes.