Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   (HQ) Handi Quilter 12 foot frame. Can I transport this in my min van? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hq-handi-quilter-12-foot-frame-can-i-transport-my-min-van-t185617.html)

Annaquilts 04-10-2012 01:04 PM

(HQ) Handi Quilter 12 foot frame. Can I transport this in my min van?

Is anyone familiar with this frame and has transported it for long distance? The owner recomended putting the track in a plastic tube and transporting it on the roof but apparently the rest of the frame breaks down sufficiently to transport in a mini van. Does that sound right for those that are familiar with the frame? I have a a hard time finding the actual specs online.

eastermarie 04-10-2012 02:01 PM

I would worry about the track bending up and down even in a pipe over a long distance, unless the roof top is 12' long. I have the HQ Studio 12' frame. Did you order a one piece track? Will this be a round trip or one way? You wouldn't want to warp the track. I'm not much help but wanted to make sure you thought about these things. Maybe some of the other ladies on the board have moved a track over a long distance. Good luck.

Annaquilts 04-10-2012 03:37 PM

It will be one way but very long way. I was wondering about that. I have no idea what frame it is on. It is a Fusion 24 inch. I am buying it private not through a dealer.

ka9sdn 04-11-2012 04:35 AM

I have the HQ18 Avante with the 12' table. When it came it was all broken down in boxes that my dealer brought out in his van . I was surprised. Why don't you call HQ and ask them about it, I am sure they will be willing to tell you. Also, you could find the nearest dealer and ask them about it but I would first call HQ as they are very helpful with info.

Annaquilts 04-11-2012 12:13 PM

Thank you ka9sdn. Yes, DH will. If we go over the dash board and slant down to the back door of the van it might fit but that is exactly 12 foot.If we go across in the van there is way more space. Maybe the passenger needs to sit in the second row and we fold down the front seat.

OzarksGma 04-11-2012 03:19 PM

If this is the pvc track that is mounted on both sides of the table that the machine cradle runs on, mine came to me rolled up in a circle and I laid it out on the floor for about a day and then put it on the table with the double stick tape pieces. Just be sure to roll it with the flat side to the outside so the track won't be damaged. I was a dealer for HQ for about 4 years and I never had any problems with it being rolled up in a large circle.

OzarksGma 04-11-2012 03:25 PM

If this is the newer metal track, I would attach it to a 2x4x12' and then you can put it on the top of your van with out worrying about it flexing out of shape. You may want to use an individual 2x4 for each piece and secure it to the top of your van.

AliKat 04-11-2012 05:01 PM

All of the HQ parts are much shorter than the 12 ft. I could even fit the containers in my trunk ... and I have a small car.

ali

Annaquilts 04-12-2012 09:49 PM

Yes, this. I believe it is an all metal part 12 foot long and indeed it came to its current owner on a 2x4.

Originally Posted by OzarksGma (Post 5133783)
If this is the newer metal track, I would attach it to a 2x4x12' and then you can put it on the top of your van with out worrying about it flexing out of shape. You may want to use an individual 2x4 for each piece and secure it to the top of your van.