Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? Husquvarna/Viking Designer 1 machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/husquvarna-viking-designer-1-machine-t216613.html)

callie8799 03-17-2013 09:46 AM

? Husquvarna/Viking Designer 1 machine

I was at my local JoAnn's today and noticed that they are moving their sewing machines to their new store next month. As a result, they have machines on sale. One of the machines was the Husquvarna Designer 1 sewing & embroidery machine. They wrote it was 6K originally and now selling for $888. that 's a massive price cut so it may be a trade in. The price alone has me thinking....

Can anyone tell me about this machine? Is it good/dependable? My first machine is on the fritz though I use my Babylock Jane primarily, it will be nice to replace Olde Betsy with something like this (my Jane is a straightstitch and I got her to FMQ & for price).

Thank you!
Deb

romanojg 03-17-2013 10:13 AM

If I'm not mistaken it's not only an older machine but the one that uses floppies. I'd ask if it's coming with classes and a warranty. Then you have to also check on what software/device you'll need to get the designs to your machine using the floppies. You may have to also get a card reader. There is a website called sewmuch4retirement.com that has alot of info that might help. Have you called a viking store to ask them what would be involved or what extra you might have to buy for this machine. I can't see where you'd go wrong with that price as long as you can learn how to use it. I love my vikings

callie8799 03-17-2013 10:24 AM

Judy,
thanks so much for your reply and the website! the website you provided did confirm it uses floppies - a little bit too old for me.

Deb

Christine- 03-17-2013 10:41 AM

The Designer 1 machines have no cooling fan on the motherboard. There was a problem with the motherboard's burning out. Depending on the use, I wouldn't buy it if you're going to have it turned on for several hours each time you use it. If you'll be turning it on and off, the motherboard will have time to cool and you won't have trouble.

But if you're someone who sews all day you should pass on the Designer 1.

mighty 03-17-2013 02:25 PM

I have a designer 1 that I bought new have had it many years. I had to replace the board. I use it once in a while but not often. It is a nice machine but for the money I think I would look at something newer.

PaperPrincess 03-17-2013 03:20 PM

the machine was introduced at least 10 years ago. It probably was $6K in 1999, but not recently. They are still going for $600-$1,000 so the price is in the ball park. I got mine 'previously owned' about 8 years ago, used it a lot, then gave it to my niece who is still using it. It will sew thru anything. The down side is that you need special software to create the appropriately formatted floppy diskettes to move an embroider file from your PC to the machine. You will either need to get HV D3 or D4 "Organizer" or Embird. You cannot just copy the file to the floppy.

Sally J 03-17-2013 04:14 PM

If you want to embroidery the floppies can be a problem. I have one (never used the embroidery unit) but LOVE THE MACHINE....It does sew thru anything, great for free motion and mine is 14 years old and never been in the shop for a problem except standard cleaning and a light bulb. They do see here in CA between $800-$1000

peacebypiece 03-17-2013 04:23 PM

double check the specs on that Designer I. If it is for sale at a Viking store located inside Joanns it most likely is the newer model that has a USB connection. That is a very good price.