Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Husqvarna Viking Embroidery machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/husqvarna-viking-embroidery-machine-t203375.html)

craftychick 10-16-2012 10:09 AM

Husqvarna Viking Embroidery machine

I looked at the Husqvarna Topaz sewing/embroidery machine today and it's on sale. Tomorrow night I'm going to test drive it on quilting sandwiches because I want to primarily use it for quilting as opposed to long arming. Any thoughts from current owners of the Topaz before I invest? Thanks!

ShaKing 10-16-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by craftychick (Post 5590034)
I looked at the Husqvarna Topaz sewing/embroidery machine today and it's on sale. Tomorrow night I'm going to test drive it on quilting sandwiches because I want to primarily use it for quilting as opposed to long arming. Any thoughts from current owners of the Topaz before I invest? Thanks!

Where is it on sale?

Crqltr 10-16-2012 11:39 AM

Will you use the embroidery! Why pay for the extra if you are quilting on it? I have a Viking that I use just for embroidery, I would hate having to mess with taking it apart to quilt with. Good luck with which ever you choose, new machines are always fun!

romanojg 10-16-2012 11:50 AM

May I suggest to check into the Ruby. They just came out with the Ruby Deluxe and are promoting Diamond Deluxe. I decided to trade my Ruby in for a Diamond but was going to wait a week due to a hectic schedule to go in and switch them out. The owner called and asked if I could possibly bring it in early; they have a waiting list for the used Rubys right now. Its an awesome machine. I've been using it for a yr and never a problem and they have so much more than the Topaz. I never adjust the tension, never have a thread it didn't like; just so many features. The Topaz is great but if you can swing a Ruby. I know they also have awesome financing too. I got my Diamond at 0 % interest. I'll include the link to my store even though its a little ways away but they are the only store that I know of that will put thier price list on line for all to see.
http://www.bellafabricsva.com/gently...achines.htm---

they have a 1 yr warranty too; but make sure with your store if they do the same.
Vikings are great and the Topaz and Ruby and Diamonds are all still made in Sweeden; which is listed on their web site.

mary quilting 10-16-2012 07:03 PM

What size hoop does it have get one that is at lest 5x7 my first was only a 4x4 and had to get another machine

NJ Quilter 10-17-2012 02:13 AM

Can't offer an opinion on that specific machine but I do love my Viking Platinum. But, as others have said, unless you're really planning to use the embroidery functions, do you want to spend the $$ for that? My Platinum does have some embroidery capability but I've never used it beyond a test. Didn't plan on using those features so not a problem. Love the auto tension on the Vikings among many other things. If you're buying from Stony Brook, I can also highly recommend them. I buy from them locally and also have my machines serviced/repaired there. I know they had opened a location in DE. Not sure if the same repair person is doing the work for all their locations, but if so, he's a keeper.

nabobw 10-17-2012 03:30 AM

I have a diamond and embrodier quilt my quilts all the time.

craftychick 10-17-2012 05:39 AM

StoneyBrook Sew and Vac in Wilmington, DE. They have an over abundance of this machine and they're on sale at least till the end of the month for $1999.

craftychick 10-17-2012 05:46 AM

The hoop sizes included are 10 1/4 x 8 and 4 3/4 x 4 3/4.

lnolan6177 10-17-2012 05:58 PM

Hi...I have a Topaz 30. I love it. My 30 year old Singer finally died last year. (I really loved it) I have a friend that has two top of the line Vikings..as much as I would have loved one of those, $10,000 just wasn't a common sense option when the Topaz did everything I need. My local dealer had a Topaz that was traded in and was less than a year old. It is a $6000 machine, and I was able to get mine for $3,000. So maybe check into that option...I did a TON of research...really there are a lot of "budget" friendly machines out there that are capable of doing the same thing the higher price ones do. When I bought my top of the line Singer 30 years ago I paid $810...the gears finally wore out and could not be replaced. I have only used the embroidery side of my machine a handful of times....I want to take a class at the store to learn more of the in's and out's of that. The store that I bought machine at offered classes on the machine as well. Good luck with your decision.