Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-about-2-seconds-going-back-sewing-doll-clothes-t105270.html)

galvestonangel 03-06-2011 06:08 PM

If you sewed doll clothes, quilting should be a cinch. I cannot sew those little things.

jan b 03-06-2011 06:18 PM

I just finished my first quilt but I haven't done the 'quilting' yet. My next project is a doll quilt. That will allow me to quilt and play with dolls!!!!
I had to grow older--I refuse to grow up!!!!

Nettie Phillips 03-06-2011 06:35 PM

It will get better so keep going and then you will love it.

lizzieann 03-06-2011 06:56 PM

Just quilt the smaller ones and send out the bigger ones to a longarm quilter. That is what I do.

newbiequilter 03-06-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by LMB
THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH !!!! I feel better. I wondered how in the world a woman could possibly do a quilt if it was so hard... if nothing else it gave me a deep respect for my 85 year old grandmother that made quilts for everyone in the family... LORD I HAD NO CLUE how hard it was. I WILL look into making smaller pieces and quilt as you go, and not doing the next one with stitch in the ditch. And yes, because of you, when this one is done, there will be another. You are all so great! Thank you

Not to disrespect your grandmother, but she probably did not do her quilting by machine.
I agree that FMQ or SID is hard. When I started quilting I said that I would do the WHOLE thing by myself....well, now I have revised that idea - some quilts I will do the whole thing and some will go to a LAQ.

Nana2boys 03-06-2011 07:34 PM

Nope!! It doesn't any get better when you try this on a regular sewing machine. That's why there are mid-arm and long-arm machines and that's why I got one after 3 or 4 of these quilting sessions with my regular machine. Decided that 'life's too short' to be so frustrated.
I really like your quilt pattern tho.
Carole

LMB 03-06-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by jan b
I just finished my first quilt but I haven't done the 'quilting' yet. My next project is a doll quilt. That will allow me to quilt and play with dolls!!!!
I had to grow older--I refuse to grow up!!!!

HAHAHAHA I like that a lot.

LMB 03-06-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nana2boys
Nope!! It doesn't any get better when you try this on a regular sewing machine. That's why there are mid-arm and long-arm machines and that's why I got one after 3 or 4 of these quilting sessions with my regular machine. Decided that 'life's too short' to be so frustrated.
I really like your quilt pattern tho.
Carole

Thank you. I got the pattern from a link given to me here. I saw a couple of quilts like that and fell in love with the pattern. The piecing went really well... much better than I thought it would... but the danged quilting was ... really awful!

quiltingnana1 03-06-2011 08:22 PM

It will get better! Hang in there. :lol:

Jill 03-06-2011 08:26 PM

When I do diagonal lines on a quilt, I use blue painter's tape and follow that to get straight lines. Tonight I started to SID on a baby quilt and I decided to use the blue tape as a guide along the seam. I also reduced the speed on my machine and it turned out much better than it usually does. I realize that using the tape might not work on a twin-size quilt but thought I'd mention it anyway. My SID looks better than it ever did before. So hang in there...it will get better.