Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am looking for a cheap source of 505 Basting Spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-looking-cheap-source-505-basting-spray-t77583.html)

moreland 11-22-2010 04:37 AM

I have used the Walmart brand (June Taylor) for years and like it. They have reduced the can size by 2 ounces but the price is the same as for the larger can.

bigsister63 11-22-2010 05:00 AM

I bought several cans from Connectung Threads and added a on-sale book and brought order up to $50 for free shipping. Cans were small but I was not able to find it around here even at Joann's or other craft store.

cjmat 11-22-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kate01
I got a can of Elmer's spray adhesive at WalMart, I don't remember what it cost, but was very reasonable. Try it!

I'm not sure which type of Elmer's spray adhesive you got but be careful using it on your fabrics. Maybe it's different than the one I found. When I couldn't get the 505 spray in our Walmart, I sent a message to Elmer's asking them if their "Repositionable Mounting Spray" would wash out of fabric. Here's the response I got:

"Removal of Elmer's Spray Adhesives can be accomplished using mineral spirits or citrus oil based removers, such as Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, etc. Apply the solvent to a clean cloth and place it on the stain for several minutes. This will soften the glue and the softened glue can then be removed with a clean dry cloth. Always test the solvent on an inconspicuous area first to check for compatibility issues."

Dawneda 11-22-2010 02:35 PM

I just buy mine at the same sewing shop I bought my sewing machine, since I take sewing classes there sometimes.

KathyKat 11-22-2010 02:47 PM

I buy The Original Quilt Basting Spray at Hancock Fabrics. It's a 13 oz can and is about 12$/can but goes on sale frequently.

bjnicholson 11-22-2010 05:42 PM

I have June Taylor's also and it worked fine.

CGail 11-22-2010 07:48 PM

I use the June Taylor quilting spray from Wal-Mart. It is a 12-oz can and can be used for 3 queen size quilts. I can't remember the correct price, but it is not as expensive as the others. - Cynthia

Kate01 11-23-2010 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cjmat

I got a can of Elmer's spray adhesive at WalMart, I don't remember what it cost, but was very reasonable. Try it!

I'm not sure which type of Elmer's spray adhesive you got but be careful using it on your fabrics. Maybe it's different than the one I found. When I couldn't get the 505 spray in our Walmart, I sent a message to Elmer's asking them if their "Repositionable Mounting Spray" would wash out of fabric. Here's the response I got:

"Removal of Elmer's Spray Adhesives can be accomplished using mineral spirits or citrus oil based removers, such as Goo-Gone, Goof-Off, etc. Apply the solvent to a clean cloth and place it on the stain for several minutes. This will soften the glue and the softened glue can then be removed with a clean dry cloth. Always test the solvent on an inconspicuous area first to check for compatibility issues."

Thanks, I haven't used it yet and I will test it carefully before I do. What, Oh What would we do without the good firends here on the board.

cjmat 11-23-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by cjmat

Thanks, I haven't used it yet and I will test it carefully before I do. What, Oh What would we do without the good firends here on the board.

Glad to help. I'd hate to see a quilting project possibly ruined. Please let us know the results once you test it. I'd love to give it a try myself if it does actually wash out :)

sheliab12 11-27-2010 02:19 PM

I got my at Joanns at the sewing machine section. It is Viking but they let me have the discount . I think it was 40 percent but it was not a coupon it was some sort of sale. I got the ig can for 12.00 Ask them if you have a Joanns and see if they will honor the coupon.