Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am tired...stash sorting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-tired-stash-sorting-t48511.html)

sewloved 06-05-2010 04:08 PM

I just finished getting my sewing room together. We added a cutting table, extended the size of the area, and rearranged the furniture. I have a bunch of material that I hadn't put out yet because I didn't have a place for it. I have a 3 foot tall pile of fabric to fold and put away. I am excited but exhausted.

I am waiting til after dinner to start folding, sorting, etc. How do you arrange your stash? By color, type, plans?

oldswimmer 06-05-2010 04:19 PM

I do mine by size, and then color within that size.

I put fat quarters together, then 1/2 yards, 1-2 yards, etc.
and I arrange them by colors. I have a tote full of larger yardages for backing. I also have some smaller clear totes with all the fabrics for certain projects that I labeled "ready to cut". Then after I cut that project is done, I can use it again. I try to cut projects in the fall and winter to get me through the first part of spring and summer because I am so busy outside that I only find small blocks of time to sew, and when they are all ready to go it makes it so easy!

I will be getting a new sewing space soon, and have been thinking about how to arrange it, but OMG if I do that, my DH might see how much fabric I really have! That could be disasterous!
Good luck with your sorting and folding!

JanetM 06-05-2010 04:26 PM

I sort my fabric in the following way:

Christmas fabrics
Prints (med. and lrg.) by color
Blenders by color

This works for me. It is a lot of work getting everything organized, especially if you have a large stash. It will be worth all the effort though, and it will be easy to keep it this way because new fabrics coming home with you will already have a spot to land in. :wink: Please post pics when you're finished.

pab58 06-05-2010 04:28 PM

I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color then from light to dark within the colors (i.e. lightest shade of yellow to darkest shade of yellow). I just love opening up the closet doors and seeing all those beautiful colors. It's so much easier to locate what I want. Believe it or not I even hang my clothes by item and then color! DVDs and video tapes are in alphabetical order. These things might sound crazy, but I never have a problem locating exactly what I need! Does that make me anal??!!

Melody 06-05-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color.....

I like this idea. :D

quiltingnonie 06-05-2010 04:55 PM

I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color then from light to dark within the colors (i.e. lightest shade of yellow to darkest shade of yellow). I just love opening up the closet doors and seeing all those beautiful colors. It's so much easier to locate what I want. Believe it or not I even hang my clothes by item and then color! DVDs and video tapes are in alphabetical order. These things might sound crazy, but I never have a problem locating exactly what I need! Does that make me anal??!!

Sounds like you might have "CDO" That's like OCD, but the letters are in the correct order as they should be!! :lol:

brushandthimble 06-05-2010 05:05 PM

I sort by color, and categories,ie Christmas, 1930's, reproductions, batiks. Also seperate, fabrics for bindings (strips, geometrics etc. that I think will make an interesting binding), and backings.
All my FQ are in 2 drawers sorted by color, another drawer for red and white, and sorted seperately black and whites.

pab58 06-05-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

Sounds like you might have "CDO" That's like OCD, but the letters are in the correct order as they should be!! :lol:

Too funny!!! :lol: I prefer to think that I'm just really organized -- at least in that part of my life!!! ;) The good thing is that my fiance is just as bad!! 8-) To use it's just the logical thing to do! :P

JanetM 06-05-2010 05:11 PM

Yes it does...welcome to the club :lol: :lol: :lol:

redquilter 06-05-2010 05:42 PM

I sort by categories, 30's reproductions, batiks, novelty, Asian, Christmas, etc.