Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-bought-gingher-seam-ripper-today-but-t71381.html)

gale 10-20-2010 08:55 PM

when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?

amma 10-20-2010 08:57 PM

I have tossed out a couple of seam rippers that were way too big to use. I know my stitches weren't too small I am not sure why they make them so wide and bulky?

gale 10-20-2010 09:04 PM

This one got rave reviews here a while back so that's why I got it. They were 50% off at Joann's today. I rip quite a few seams so I needed something better.

np3 10-20-2010 09:23 PM

That happens. And you can stretch fabric if you are not gentle.

Lilrain 10-20-2010 09:25 PM

We had a speaker at our guild that said she used the cheapy eyebrown trimmers that are two for a dollar at dollar stores. my friend and I have tried them, and they are great. The idea is like using a razor blade, but these little things have a handle and are not dangerous. Put a little tension on your seam, pulling it apart and then use the eyebrown trimmer like a razor blade.

Lilrain 10-20-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
We had a speaker at our guild that said she used the cheapy eyebrown trimmers that are two for a dollar at dollar stores. my friend and I have tried them, and they are great. The idea is like using a razor blade, but these little things have a handle and are not dangerous. Put a little tension on your seam, pulling it apart and then use the eyebrown trimmer like a razor blade.

If I do use a seam ripper I use a Clover brand

Sadiemae 10-20-2010 09:30 PM

I shouldn't admit it, but I have always used a small rotary cutter. I saw the tip about the eyebrow shaper/trimmer on a video and now I use it because people panic when I use the rotary cutter.

EasyPeezy 10-20-2010 09:58 PM

I usually use my Clover seam ripper or the one that come with the sewing
machine. The Clover has a a nicer handle. I use an even smaller stitch
length - 1.8 on my Janome 6600. I find it easier if I turn the seam ripper on
the side rather than straight down...the blade is flat against the fabric
instead of perpendicular. See what I mean? And I unstitch every two or
three stitches then pull the thread on the other side. It's very easy.

GrannieAnnie 10-20-2010 10:19 PM

If I do use a seam ripper I use a Clover brand

And my favorite is the red and cream FONS AND PORTER. I enjoy ripping seams with it.

gale 10-20-2010 10:33 PM

OK where are all the people who loved the Gingher. lol. If it doesn't work out for me I'll return it. It was half price but that still makes it $12.50.