Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't believe I'm taking out all the stitches from my UFO! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-believe-im-taking-out-all-stitches-my-ufo-t54515.html)

tortoisethreads 07-14-2010 04:50 PM

This may sound crazy, but I have a UFO that I think I will finish sooner if I stop hand quilting it and move to machine. A long time ago I bought a layer cake of Amy Butler fabrics. I simply sewed them together and added a boarder. I thought it would be fun to hand quilt circles all over this thing! I'm sick of it! I love the quilt, but I can not bear to do any more circles. Tonight, I was thinking of taking it all out! I know machine quilting would only take a day or so. Should I do it?

Pam 07-14-2010 04:51 PM

Why not do a grid behind the circles? Do the grid by machine, and you are done. Why waste your time and effort? Use it!!!

GrammaNan 07-14-2010 04:53 PM

How far along are you with the hand quilting? Are you more than half way through? If you are you may want to rethink starting over. It takes awhile to skin a quilt and you are risking tearing, fraying and making holes in the fabric as you rip. Whatever you decide I am sure the quilt will be beautiful.

erstan947 07-14-2010 04:55 PM

The bottom line is, what would make you the happiest?

tortoisethreads 07-14-2010 04:56 PM

Well, I am more than halfway, but this was my first attempt at handquilting so the stitches are pretty big! It may not take too long. Also the quilt is a throw size...not too big.

GrammaNan 07-14-2010 04:59 PM

Hand quilting stitches on a small quilt should be relatively easy to remove. I sense that you won't be happy with it if you continue hand quilting it.

momski 07-14-2010 06:17 PM

Haha... I am not laughing at you but at the situation. I have a UFO... that I have quilted and ripped out TWICE! The first time, I got a nasty bunch in the center and the second time, I didn't like the design that the quilting made on the back of the quilt. It looked like a swastika.

I only machine quilt as I am a instant gratification kinda of person so it's not like it took me all that long to quilt it in the first place. BUT that darn UFO is still floating around my to-do pile (3 years later).

ktbb 07-14-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Why not do a grid behind the circles? Do the grid by machine, and you are done. Why waste your time and effort? Use it!!!

I vote for Pam's idea...and if the circles that are done are large, you can do a simple grid or design in the middle of them as well.

Pam 07-14-2010 06:25 PM

OK, if I remember tomorrow, I will post a pic of my very first "big" quilt. Hand quilted and tied. I hid it for years. Now it gets used for a tablecloth at quilting events, and everyone wants to know where it came from, I think I could sell it!! A disaster! I had no idea that the monkey wrench was a difficult pattern, no one told me! The moral to the story is, go with what you got.

mlaceruby 07-14-2010 06:33 PM

I have hand quilted and machine quilted on the same quilt.
just leave it in and do the grid as suggested.
it will be done and you will be happy!