Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't seem to get started on this quilt!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-seem-get-started-quilt-t185438.html)

QuiltingCrazie 04-08-2012 11:18 PM

Yes I'm feeling like you right now, I know my issue though. We had a few pieces of loaner dressers from the Army here before we got our stuff and German houses do not have closets at all. Last week they recalled all the loaner furniture and one was in my sewing room holding my fabrics and I had to empty it so it is everywhere I can't sew in a mess. Went to go to IKEA Friday and this whole weekend is a German holiday including tomorrow so I'm stuck til Tuesday before I can go get my storage. Going to make a wonderful day of it though with a friend so good came out of it.

Nokie 04-08-2012 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5126933)
If you are new to quilting, I would suspect that in your past was someone who belittled your work, making it hard for you to be your own creative self.

If you have been quilting, I would guess that you just have too many things on your plate right now and you need to give yourself permission to do something small simple and quick to get past this point, or maybe just put things on 'hold'. Maybe take a nap. Maybe make a pot holder. Make a quickie charity quilt.

Generally, if I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, I do a quickie, which is probably why I usually have many projects going at a time, but they all get done, eventually.

You say, "this quilt" . Why are you making it? Is it something you didn't really want to make in the first place? Maybe skip it entirely or postpone it for a year or 2.

Wow - you got me on all points!! Yes there is an ex that always was on my case for what I didn't finish, what i didn't do, what I didn't do RIGHT, etc....thankfully my wonderful husband now is helping me get over that. And yes, I'm new to quilting - this is only my second quilt. The first one is sitting here not finished. I can't seem to get it done. I noticed that I said "this quilt" too - I think I said that out of frustration. It's a scrap quilt, and I"m frustrated that I don't have enough scrap material. Which is quite silly since I've only made one other quilt!! I do that to myself though - when I find something I love to do, I'm in all the way, and think I should know how to do it all like an expert of 20 years would.

On the bright side - I finally found a pattern I liked and am in the process of rotary cutting away. AND my sewing room is in the works - it looks maaahhhhhhhvelous in there.....and then I walk into the living room and see all the boxes and bins that I have to go through and put BACK into that maaahhhhhhhhvelous sewing room and it's not quite so maaaaahhhhhvelous anymore LOL!

alikat110 04-09-2012 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms (Post 5126866)
I, too, am having trouble actually starting a quilt. I LOVE the research part, acquiring the fabrics and notions parts, collecting the machines (HeHe) part and making lists of what i want to start with...then it's as if the "mood" just leaves me...then I stress over it...A HOBBY, for goodness sake!! I don't know if this is a hangup I have or a residual of when I was first married, my Ex would put me down for starting a project and not finishing it...thing is, it was just this one project that he kept bringing up....it didn't matter that I made all my clothes and even clothes for my mother...it was that darn fabric painting piece on velvet no less that I never got finished!! Even now when I think about a UFO (mostly in my embroidery pile), I get major stressed out and since the EX is totally EX'ed, I know this shouldn't bother me!!

If you continue to let this bother you, HE WINS..... there is a reason he is an EX.... this is probably a big part of it. Get rid of the "hangup" just like you got rid of him. I know this is harder to do than it was for me to say, but you can do it!!!!!

carolaug 04-09-2012 02:27 AM

I am having a hard time starting another one also...I just finished my nieces two months early. I find if I have a person I am making it for and a deadline its easier to get modivated. I have a wall hanging that I basted this weekend but did not FMQ it...no modivation...

hopetoquilt 04-09-2012 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110 (Post 5126730)
Set yourself up some project boxes. In each one, start by placing a pattern or inspiration fabric, or whatever. Then build up the boxes by adding additional items needed to complete the project ( coordinating fabrics, notions, THREAD, a journal pad to keep special notes for tension, stitch length, etc). Next, DIG IN! If you need to move from one project to another, then do so. I love having several projects going on...variety is the spice of life.

Now that is a great idea. I get stuck sometimes and that is very close to what I did.

PaperPrincess 04-09-2012 04:21 AM

Sometimes when I'm stuck, or can't seem to get going I will do a small project, like a mug rug. Something that I can complete in a day.

Raggiemom 04-09-2012 04:34 AM

Some great advice on here. If it's a particular quilt I don't want to work on right then, I'll start another one. I usually have several projects going at once. Try something small, like a table runner. Or make a purse. Sometimes you just have to jump in and get started. Usually once I start it, I get more into the project.

Lori S 04-09-2012 05:07 AM

I can get way to cought up in perfection, contstantly reviewing the fabrics asking myself "are they really right?"or "is the pattern right for the fabrics". I finally learned to tame this by telling myself "this is not the only quilt I will make".. "And there will be more". Some of my favorite quilts had some interesting starts... till finally I just started cutting and letting the process reveal itself as I went along.
Sometimes small projects can be very therapudic.... I have made more than my share of potholders and tablerunners as a method of breaking the stagnation.

hobo2000 04-09-2012 05:42 AM

I am in the same boat. I bought this gorgeous white for the background and a lucious bright blue and a small piece of soft lime green. I want to do lots of quilting in the white so I need a pattern that is striking but not the focal point. I have been looking at patterns for three weeks, to no avail. I am anxious to start, but the pattern has to be right. I may have found one last night. I will try one block today. We'll see how it works out.

Michellesews 04-09-2012 05:52 AM

Decide on what you want to make. Gather all fabrics and tools you will need. Read the instructions until you are sure you understand them. Now, this is very important....TAKE ONE STEP AT A TIME. ONE! My opinion is that you are being overwhelmed by the magnitude of the entire project...but you know what the Chinese say...a journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step. If you get yourself organized at the beginning, it is only a matter of taking one step at a time. I have a rule I follow, and that helps spur me on to finish...I do not allow myself to begin another project until I have completed the one I am working on. This works for me for several reasons. One...I do not end up with different fabrics and directions for several quilts cluttering up my sewing room, I only have out what I need for that one quilt, it eliminates confusion. Also, that one quilt is all I have to conccentrate on. I clean up, sweep and put away each day when I am finished so that when I go back in...I don't have the mess monster to greet me, which takes away some of the dread of entering the sewing room...chaos and I don't get along well. Another thing that helps me, is I will tell myself, I am going to go in and sew for one hour, unless I feel like sewing longer. Sometimes, after one hour, I am done. Sometimes I end up staying all day and having a great time. Mood has everything to do with it.
Now, go get organized, set yourself up for success! Let us hear from you again...you are missing out on a great adventure and fantastic feelings of self accomplishment...so get on board and take this fantastic ride with us!