Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I couldn't make a mess if I tried! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-couldnt-make-mess-if-i-tried-t104512.html)

Renee110 03-02-2011 07:14 PM

I keep reading about everyone's messy sewing rooms, and I look over at my "corner" and sigh....I just started this in September, and I don't have enough stuff to make a mess! I'm not in a position to build a stash, as my DH hasn't had a job in a year and I'm the only money-maker....so it's just my machine, ironing board, quilt cut 2, and a plastic tote with my few fabrics. Even if I pulled it all out and slung it around the room I don't think I'd have a mess! At least it keeps me from having a million UFO's to finish as I don't have the fabric to make a bunch of stuff! That's one good thing huh? It's forcing me to finish what I started lol. I look forward to the day I can make a mess!

erstan947 03-02-2011 07:16 PM

I know what you mean. Mine is kinda of skimpy too. Someday:)

LeslieFrost 03-02-2011 07:18 PM

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Maybe your current habit of finishing each project before you start another will stick, even when you have more fabric!

BETTY62 03-02-2011 07:20 PM

I think we have all been where you are at sometime. Your husband will find a job very soon, things will get better, your stash will grow and you can make a great big mess!

Fabric Galore 03-02-2011 07:22 PM

I took my first quilt lesson in 1980 and the teacher told us to bring our fabric scraps to exchange with one another. I didn't have any scraps. I always bought enough fabric for the item of clothing I was making and I had never heard of a fabric stash. Now I have enough fabric to have my own fabric store. You have to be careful because when you turn the lights out at night time your scraps breed. I have made so many scrap quilts and I still can't find enough room to store them.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-02-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
I think we have all been where you are at sometime. Your husband will find a job very soon, things will get better, your stash will grow and you can make a great big mess!

I love this!!! :thumbup:

emerald46 03-02-2011 07:28 PM

lol...we had better save this for when we get to do that "we told you so". Hang in there and know it will get better..hugs!

M.I.Late 03-02-2011 07:31 PM

I am so not a "scrappy" person. I'm like fabric galore used to be. I have one small bag and a good sized basket. Keeping them because I may have to repair a quilt that's out there, but will probably never make anything with them. I'm just not a "scrappy quilt" person. I really like to buy fairly close to what I need. However, I do have a "stash". There's pluses and negatives to having stash. Prettier fabrics come out all the time so I feel like I need to keep room for the best that's yet to come. Don't like to have a messy sewing room either. Makes me crazy. I have to clean up before I start and at breaks. I don't put it all away, but I neatly stack until I can get back to it. Not a lot of stash is not a bad thing.

Renee110 03-02-2011 07:32 PM

oh no....my post came across wrong! I'm not whining about not having a stash! I had just come across another topic about someone's messy sewing room and I always stare in awe at the whole room dedicated to sewing and all the stuff.....and then I giggle when I look at my tote box and try to imagine wrecking a room with it!

Lori S 03-02-2011 07:34 PM

I can send some of my mess your way!! If it makes you feel better! Or we could start a message thread for everyone to send you a box of ... mess.