Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Did It!! Paper-piecing is now my friend! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-did-paper-piecing-now-my-friend-t166386.html)

Mad Mimm 11-05-2011 04:51 PM

I Did It!! Paper-piecing is now my friend!

Let me preface by saying I am a big chicken when it comes to trying new techniques and I have been really working on being bold and fearless in the face of all things quilty that intimidate me. When I have learned a new technique in the past, it has always been in a class setting, with a patient teacher holding my hand and guiding me along. Well due to recent budget constraints, I could not afford to take a class in paper piecing - something I REALLY wanted to learn. I checked out the tutorials here and on youtube and borrowed a book from my library. I set aside the day today to tackle my first block - a virtually idiot-proof basket block. And it worked!!!

I have been giggling maniacally from the sewing room all afternoon. Yes, I had to whip out my trusty seam ripper (took a minute to figure out the whole backward thing) but I have been seduced by the perfect points and promise of a glowing future filled with lovely, pointy stars. Sigh, I feel like a teenage girl on her first date. Move over Tom Welling, Paper Piecing is my new love!!!

PS I'll get a photo posted - just have to finish making dinner!

sewwhat85 11-05-2011 07:15 PM

Yea all is fun and games until you have to rip out all that paper LOL

Mad Mimm 11-05-2011 08:36 PM

I must be a total sicko - I actually LIKE that part! It's official, I'm a freak! :D

Jennifer22206 11-05-2011 09:20 PM

Congrats! I love Paper Piecing too. It's great. I like taking out the paper too. If you have really small pieces of paper, I've found stamp tongs are great.

jaciqltznok 11-05-2011 09:32 PM

good for you....PPing is SOOOOO much fun...and if you use a small enough stitch, microtex needle and 60wt thread that paper will fall off! I too don't mind the paper, because it is like unwrapping a pressie!

5moose 11-05-2011 09:55 PM

Oh I love the paper piecing technique. Always such a perfect outcome. I also like taking off the paper.

justflyingin 11-05-2011 10:10 PM

I feel like you when I tried it. It was really fun.

I want to make a quilt with a whole bunch of "neat" designs. I started a box of interesting shapes. Even found a dress design--I thought it would be neat to make a quilt with a bunch of different dresses.

Just "so much to do, so little time"...so why I am here on the computer??? :)

Aunt Sue 11-05-2011 10:25 PM

I LOVE PP too but hate taking the paper off. I just finished taking the paper off of a King Sized Quilt ALL Paper Pieced....that might be why I hate it right now...LOL

sewmorethings 11-06-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 (Post 4638941)
Yea all is fun and games until you have to rip out all that paper LOL

Don't mind ripping the paper off the back, i just don't like cleaning up all the little bits of paper that miss the trash can........

Joset 11-06-2011 05:18 AM

they are going to have a class for us here in town this winter, i have been waiting for
that because that is something i would like to try.