Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I did it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-did-t34112.html)

Shorebird 01-14-2010 02:56 PM

CONGRATS!!!! and welcome to the really FUN WORLD of Viking sewing and embroidery machine owners! You will really enjoy your machine. May I suggest that you avail yourself of all of the classes that your local Viking dealer has? Great way to meet new people, make new friends who share common interests, and learn A LOT about your machine.....

littlehud 01-14-2010 06:25 PM

Wow. Congrats and have fun with your new baby.

amma 01-14-2010 06:27 PM

WooHoo!!!! :D:D:D

aardvarq 01-16-2010 04:35 PM

It is a great machine. My sister and I have been sewing on the Sapphire for several years now and we both think they are great. She has fits with her needle threader, but mine works fine.

Have FUN!!

grma33 01-16-2010 04:40 PM

Have fun!!!
Gale

thimblebug6000 01-16-2010 07:14 PM

Did you also do a search on this site for some more of our postings?
Glad to hear you're having fun with your new machine.

QBeth 01-19-2010 11:51 AM

Well, I tried FMQ on the Sapphire again, over the weekend, using invisible thread in the top. Went really well for about 290 mins then broke a needle. I think I went too fast for the walking foot.

Replaced the needle, thought it was going well, until I discovered that the invisible thread had broken, fell out, went on vacation, whatever, and I wasn't sewing anything!

Rethreaded it. THIS TIME, I pulled the bobbin thread to the top before starting to sew. Went well again. Left on a high note, stopping for dinner. May go back to it tonight. Still have a few curses I haven't used yet. Will post finished product if not flung out window. :-)

katier825 01-20-2010 02:43 AM

I have found that if I go too fast, I break needles. I did better on the last quilt because I slowed the speed down (speed button is above the reverse on my Sapphire 835 - and I was looking for it in the menu!). I think the combination of the speed and moving the fabric in a direction other than forward/backward is when I have needle problems.

I just re-read your post. You mention FMQ and also the walking foot. You should not be using the walking foot for FMQ. Mine came with a clear foot, "R" I think. I didn't like that one, I prefer the spring clear foot 4125417 is the number on the foot. The dealer gave it to me. I think it runs about $30 +/- a couple.

QBeth 01-20-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I have found that if I go too fast, I break needles. I did better on the last quilt because I slowed the speed down (speed button is above the reverse on my Sapphire 835 - and I was looking for it in the menu!). I think the combination of the speed and moving the fabric in a direction other than forward/backward is when I have needle problems.

I just re-read your post. You mention FMQ and also the walking foot. You should not be using the walking foot for FMQ. Mine came with a clear foot, "R" I think. I didn't like that one, I prefer the spring clear foot 4125417 is the number on the foot. The dealer gave it to me. I think it runs about $30 +/- a couple.

Ditto on the speed factor & direction! It's a lesson I keep re-learning over & over again. As for FMQ combined with a walking foot, that was a mind cramp! I should have said sewing in the ditch with the walking foot, then going on to FMQ.

You're also right about using something other than the "R" foot. I'm not at home right now so I can't check but I'm pretty sure I bought an open toe spring/hopping foot when I bought the machine. I'd had success with using the same type of foot with my BabyLock so I knew what to look for.

I hope to get back to sewing tonight. Been working toooo late, lately! That, plus getting stuck in the parking lot because they haven't plowed the lot yet! :-( Guess the weekend storms took some outfits by surprise.