Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't know what sizing is. What is it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-know-what-sizing-what-t182584.html)

jcrow 03-12-2012 01:03 PM

I don't know what sizing is. What is it?

I know I should know this, but I don't know what sizing is. I think it's in the fabric when you buy it, but what is it and what is it for?

virtualbernie 03-12-2012 01:41 PM

Used to give your fabric more body. When you wash your fabric it becomes limp--sizing makes it more crisp but not as crisp as starch. I use it all the time.

QuiltnNan 03-12-2012 02:17 PM

from Wikipedia "Surface sizing solutions consists of mainly modified starches and sometimes other hydrocolloids, such as gelatine, or surface sizing agents such as alkyl ketene dimer (AKD) or acrylic co-polymers. Surface sizing agents are amphipathic molecules, having both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-repelling) ends. The sizing agent adheres to substrate fibers and forms a film, with the hydrophilic tail facing the fiber and the hydrophobic tail facing outwards, resulting in a smooth finish that tends to be water-repellent. Sizing improves the surface strength, printability, and water resistance of the paper or material to which it is applied. In the sizing solution, optical brightening agents (OBA) may also be added to improve the opacity and whiteness of the paper or material surface."

aren't you glad you asked :)

virtualbernie 03-12-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5054403)
from Wikipedia "Surface sizing solutions consists of mainly modified starches and sometimes other hydrocolloids, such as gelatine, or surface sizing agents such as alkyl ketene dimer (AKD) or acrylic co-polymers. Surface sizing agents are amphipathic molecules, having both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-repelling) ends. The sizing agent adheres to substrate fibers and forms a film, with the hydrophilic tail facing the fiber and the hydrophobic tail facing outwards, resulting in a smooth finish that tends to be water-repellent. Sizing improves the surface strength, printability, and water resistance of the paper or material to which it is applied. In the sizing solution, optical brightening agents (OBA) may also be added to improve the opacity and whiteness of the paper or material surface."

Show off! :D

An Arm Long 03-13-2012 07:28 AM

I prefer using sizing to spray starch for pressing after I wash the fabric before cutting. I don't like the stiffness of starch, but I need more than just water sprayed and pressed.

barny 03-13-2012 07:32 AM

Wow quiltnNan, you are a plethora of words.ha.

jcrow 03-13-2012 12:34 PM

Can you buy sizing at Walmart?

jcrow 03-13-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5054403)

I am glad I asked. This told me a lot (even tho I didn't understand all the words) ha ha

virtualbernie 03-13-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5057283)
Can you buy sizing at Walmart?

Yes, it's 97 cents at my Walmart.

leevenora 03-13-2012 01:17 PM

I am glad you posted the question jcrow. Now I have been educated as well.