Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't mean to offend, but..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-mean-offend-but-t76746.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-16-2010 12:04 PM

Maybe part of the bow tucks attraction is it only takes 7 - 8 hours to make. (Or so I understand from the board.) Some times it's nice to be able to complete a project in a short amount of time. It gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

On a personal level, bow tucks are one of those things I see other ladies carrying and think they're cute but know I would never use it. I don't coordinate. I wish I did, but I just don't. For me, it's jeans with a t-shirt or sweatshirt and the hair is a braid or a pony tail. Bow tucks are too fancy for me.

DebraK 11-16-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
On a personal level, bow tucks are one of those things I see other ladies carrying and think they're cute but know I would never use it. I don't coordinate. I wish I did, but I just don't. For me, it's jeans with a t-shirt or sweatshirt and the hair is a braid or a pony tail. Bow tucks are too fancy for me.

same here.

Quilter7x 11-16-2010 12:06 PM

I prefer a purse that zips at the top so snow/rain/unwanted hands don't go into it. It's also too wide to fit in my drawer at work.

They are all beautiful, but not for me.

Lilrain 11-16-2010 12:08 PM

well, one thing for sure, the pattern designer should be happy, as this board has probably created many sales she would not have otherwise had. :)

tucsonquilter 11-16-2010 12:08 PM

That's what makes this board so wonderful. We all like or dislike different things. I have the bow tuck pattern but have not made one yet. Showed it to my adult daughters and both just loved it and wants one made. I think it is a personal choice. There are some designs of quilts that I dont care for. But wouldnt it be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing and we all made exactly the same item?

Prissnboot 11-16-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
I think some people are excited about the bow tucks because they are something fairly simple to make and we can use our creative side to add to it, if we want. I also think they are a nice thing to make for gifts for they are very usable. Not everyone likes the same thing and I am sure the bow tuck is something you just don't like....could you tell us what you don't like about them?

What don't I like about them? At the risk of being lynched, they're just too crafty for my taste. I appreciate the work that goes into them, but they're just not my taste. Please understand I'm not hating on anyone or anything, it's just not my style. However, I may try to make one someday just because...

I really AM a purse person, and have entirely too many that I don't use but can't seem to bring myself to get rid of. However, I don't see myself adding a bow tuck to my collection anytime soon.

As for the mug rugs, I've taught my 9 yr old sewing student how to make them by herself, and I'm thinking this will be her Christmas gift to everyone this year. It's a great little "what do I give so-and-so" thing, especially when paired with a mug and a hot chocolate packet!

Lilrain 11-16-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
That's what makes this board so wonderful. We all like or dislike different things. I have the bow tuck pattern but have not made one yet. Showed it to my adult daughters and both just loved it and wants one made. I think it is a personal choice. There are some designs of quilts that I dont care for. But wouldnt it be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing and we all made exactly the same item?

agreed

sueisallaboutquilts 11-16-2010 12:16 PM

I don't think you are being offensive at all. I love making pillows b/c they are fun and sometimes easy. I like the different fads that people get into just b/c it's fun. I might make a purse for myself but w/o bows. My sister would probably not like a handmade purse at all. My Mom would love one but it would have to be small.
Sometimes I think you need a small project just so get something done quickly and feel the satisfaction too.
I'm a quilt and pillow freak so I get both the instant gratification and the slow but longer term one :)

May in Jersey 11-16-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter

You said it sister.

amma 11-16-2010 12:23 PM

Purse and bag styles are a very personal taste, what I like someone else may not :D There are always fads, be it bags, quilts, or clothing :D:D:D

Many quilters are also into other types of sewing too. I love seeing all of them!
This is what I love about the board, so much diversity... :D:D:D