Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I don't think it will look too good (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-dont-think-will-look-too-good-t3784.html)

Kyiav10 12-28-2007 10:42 PM

I have been reading some old posts and have learned some new things..

1) when I measured for my borders I measuered the edges not from the middle...it won't look square.

2) Borders were supposed to be cut parallel to the slevages..I cut perpendicular.

3) I didn't know about cutting and sewing cross grain. I am affraid after it is washed it will be ruined.

I am now marking the train quilt. I have to buy a frame b/c I think the one my mom got at a yard sale for me was accidentally thrown away by my husband. We shall see. Kyia

patricej 12-29-2007 02:16 AM

if you top blocks matched well enough, you top will be square. if it isn't, you can fix it by adding patches to make a pieced border. it'll be fine.

borders do not have to be cut parallel to selvages. some quilters do ... some quilters don't. it'll be fine.

wash it by hand or in your machine's most gentle cycle. drape it over the shower rod to dry. it'll be fine.

when it's almost dry, lay it flat and gently pat and stretch to block it into shape. press until dry. it'll be fine.

do not be afraid. it'll be fine. :wink:

fabricluvr 12-29-2007 02:35 AM

no worries! it will be beautiful. the only time i've cut borders with the selvage was a striped print and i wanted to mitre the corners. i've made three queen-size quilts and have not had a problem with any of them (nor has my mom and she's made two the same way).

relax and enjoy! it'll be ok!

nanabirdmo 12-29-2007 08:00 AM

i cut both ways, no quilt police here. to quote a very wise person,(patrice) "it will be fine".

barnbum 12-29-2007 09:50 AM

Kyia!! I've been quilting for years--taught myself--read books in the aisle of the fabric stores because back then I didn't want to spend the money to buy them. I made tiny doll quilt to practice...and if you look at my posts (or website) you'll see how it's coming along. Not once have I heard about cutting borders different ly than I cut the rest. I just read that in the quilt books I got for Christmas. My borders came out fine.

So--be free! Be free and quilt along merrily!! You do fabulous work. Don't let anything steal your joy! :wink:

I'm back--I had to add that I started my first quilt in 1978 in college. No iron or sewing machine. No rotary blade or cutting mat. I saved those squares for years and used them to make my first quilt. I tried adding wide strips between squares to get it done and it looked so bad--I cut it directly in half and made two small--what I called rag quilts (meaning something quite differently that what I call rag quilts today. :lol: )

I finished those quilts and gave one to my daughter. She still has it and loves it. I'll have to post a pic sometime.

Anyway--the moral to the story is--whatever you're doing--it's perfect. And beautiful. :D

Feel better? :wink:

imaquilter 12-29-2007 04:59 PM

Yes, "it will be fine". I have been quilting for 10 years and am no expert as many of the women/men on here have quilted much longer. But, I did own a successful quilt store for a number of years and have seen and heard just about everything when it comes to how quilters do things.

I for one have very rarely cut my borders parallel to the selvages. Only when I am making a very special quilt that I don't want to see pieced borders on. Have made over 60 quilts, have washed most all of them, they are fine. I would say the majority of quilter cut there borders perpindicular to the selvage.

As far as being square, press your blocks or quilt top with steam. Do a little stretching here and there, you can work it more square. If you are still a little off when you measure and one side is 1/2" or less shorter than the other, you take an average of the two and work in the extra on one side and gently stretch the other side a bit. Just find the center of your border and top by folding them in half, pin them together at the middle and then pin the ends. Work the fabric in by pinning along the way approx. every 2 to 3 inches.

Like I said, I am not an expert, have just had alot of information come across my ears.

And believe me......we ALL have to "fudge" our quilts sometimes.

Kyiav10 12-29-2007 08:43 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I have the top and bottom sandwiched with the batting. This quilt is deffinately not going to be perfect. I am just going to accept this one as that. I think maybe I should have started with a more simpler/smaller quilt. But I am giong to get it on a frame and work at it. We shall see. Hopefully it won't be too awful. Thanks again for everyone's advice. It is greatly appreciated. Kyia

Cathe 12-29-2007 09:04 PM

I bet it will be just fine!

Diamonds 12-29-2007 09:35 PM

Kyia I also think it will come out fine... Like I have read here several times there are no such thing as the quilting police :lol:

I also have to admit there was a few times mine were not perfectly square... However they were still beautiful... People I made them for loved them... I learned as I went... However the most important thing I have learned about quilting and life is not to sweat the small things...