Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I give up.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-give-up-t215636.html)

jemma 03-06-2013 09:04 PM

just black would i feel be too stark--what youve shown looks great---the black on white fabric would look great and not detract from the other

lisalovesquilting 03-07-2013 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5909413)
If this is a DP9, I don't think that you will easily be able to create the filler blocks to match. You would have to measure and cut each piece to make the triangles. Depending on how much fabric you have, you can make full blocks, sew the top together, then cut the excess triangles off. Remember that you need MORE than half a block for the filler triangles, so you can't just cut a block in half on the diagonal and use both pieces. You can, however, take the cutoffs and make a throw!

This is what I was thinking you meant you wanted to do. Do what PaperPrincess said and it will look great.

lisalovesquilting 03-07-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5910118)
The easiest way is to make a full block, then cut the whole side straight after. Be sure to starch if you do this because it will end up with bias edges. I put on an inner border to help stabilize it. What you've done so far looks great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400248[/ATTACH]

Yes, that's it. Gorgeous quilt katier825.

quilterpurpledog 03-07-2013 05:43 AM

Both of the quilts posted are lovely. Katier825's is striking because it uses the setting triangles and corners to carry out a single visual concept. One of the visual 'attractions' of of your DP9 is the use of the conversation print and you might want to think of its overall impact. Using the same setting triangles and corners would be really striking. You might consider using gray for your sashing and perhaps the red in a small border surrounding the body of your quilt or you could use the red in a piping combined with your binding-depending on the binding you chose. Red piping with one of the blacks for binding would be striking.

angelanicole 03-07-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5910118)
The easiest way is to make a full block, then cut the whole side straight after. Be sure to starch if you do this because it will end up with bias edges. I put on an inner border to help stabilize it. What you've done so far looks great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400248[/ATTACH]

I think this will be the solution to your "problem". Good luck !!!!!!!

Snooze2978 03-07-2013 06:06 AM

Faye, just last week or the previous week there were a couple on point D9P photos. One of them was the black/white with red centers just like yours. As I was just getting ready to put my blocks together in regular mode, these photos made me want to set mine on point too. I did and I'm so happy with the outcome. I used the same fabric between the sashing as I did in the blocks which was black for me. Go to the photo section and look up D9P and I'm sure they will be there. If you can't find them, email me privately and I'll send them to you as I saved them for future use to remind me how they looked. I had to refer back to them a time or two while putting mine together. I actually used less of the original blocks as the sashing took up some of the space.

I am fortunate to have a design wall so I can lay out my blocks before I sew them together.

Good [email protected] if you need to see the photos.

Suz in Iowa

#1piecemaker 03-07-2013 06:13 AM

I think it looks great so far! Keep going. I love the blue that someone posted here. the black , white and red will look fantastic too!

mjhaess 03-07-2013 06:15 AM

I think it is very pretty...The white frames it well...

ShirlinAZ 03-07-2013 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whatever you choose for setting blocks should be sewn on before sewing rows together. You can still add them easily by ripping out a few stitches on each side of your one block row; sew the setting triangle to the one block, then sew the row together. Your setting triangles need to be at least 1/2 inch larger than the length of your sashing piece and one cornerstone. I like to go a little bigger than that, then trim to fit. The method I prefer is to measure the diagonal of one block, but a square an inch larger than that, then cut that square diagonally into quarters, then sew the bias edges to the blocks. That way you are working with straight of grain when you sandwich and quilt it.

Here is one I just finished piecing, but without sashing. I was using up stash pieces. Katier825's quilt was my inspiration also.

KathyKat 03-07-2013 07:17 AM

I think you could use any one of the fabrics from your blocks to make the setting triangles and they do need to be added on the ends of each row before you sew the rows together. If your having trouble figuring out how to make the setting triangles there are charts and calculators online. You need to make a block larger than the DP9 block to make the triangles. It's actually very easy to do. I'll look for a chart to post here.
Here's a good one: http://quiltbug.com/Articles/on-point.htm