Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I got sucked in . . . :( UPDATED - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-got-sucked-updated-t5905.html)

fabricluvr 04-03-2008 03:25 PM

today i packed up my janome and went up to the store. there's a guy there that can tell you why you have issues with free motion quilting. is it me or the machine?

i should have known. i came out of there without my machine and a quote for service (cleaning, annual tune-up) that is going to cost me between $70 and $80! he said i had nicks in my plate from bent needles (must have been those times when the needle broke . . . oops). he thinks he can smooth the nicks out without replacing any parts. that still seems awfully expensive!

i'll be lucky if he has it done by saturday. interesting though, the lady that was there did some free motion on one of the demo machines and she had some loops on the back, too! he told me there are several factors to the loopiness - thread, needle, speed, throat plate being smooth, etc. he did say that the thread i was using (coats and clark) was not recommended (go figure).

*sigh* i feel naked and i didn't get my block-of-the-month done for saturday morning. cheer me up.

i could buy a lot of quilting supplies with $80!

what do you all pay to have your machine serviced annually? or do you have it done that often?

judy_68 04-03-2008 03:39 PM

thats about what it cost me when I had mine serviced. If I buy a new machine from this guy he will do a yearly tune up etc. for free.
Judy in Ohio

Rebecca Chambley 04-03-2008 04:05 PM

That was a good price.....I had to have work done on my Brother CS6000 about a month ago. My bobbin casing was also nicked from broken needles, as well as my spring to release my feed dog needed replaced. They sand out the bobbin casing if it's not nicked to bad. Otherwise they have to replace it. But I considered this. I've had my machine 3 yrs, never had work done on it, and I sew everyday. It cost me 125.00. I don't feel I got took, I'm just Thankfull I got it back in 1 week. It runs like new. I was lost without it, oh yeah the tune-up was incl. So your price was good. And I live on a fixed income.

Moonpi 04-03-2008 04:27 PM

The guy here charges $75 just to look at it , but will take that off the total.

tlrnhi 04-03-2008 04:43 PM

I had mine cleaned/oiled and the plate replaced.
Cost me $150 and that was with a "rush" job. Didn't want to be without
for a week. I could have used my other machine, but I had some embroidery I wanted to get done.

sewmuch 04-03-2008 05:27 PM

I pay $79 for cleaning and it always runs better, mine is Janome also.

kathy 04-04-2008 03:15 AM

the place I take my Singer to is 50$ for cleaning/oiling/minor adjustments.

Skeat 04-04-2008 04:04 AM

It's a good deal for $80! Here just to look at your Janome and not even touch it is $65...then it goes up from there. This is literally your driving force to keep your art going...so, keep it going:)). If you know a machinist...they can smooth your plate of it's nicks prob for free. They prob put it on a buffer to smooth it out. I (knock'n on my wooden head)that I haven't done that to mine...but I do take it apart and clean and oil it myself. I love those good acrylic paint brushes for craft painting...the lint just clings to them!! And they get to those little corners you can't reach...I gently roll it, and the lint just rolls out holding on to the brush. And, if you sew alot...there's a bunny living inside of it!:0)Skeat

sandpat 04-04-2008 05:17 AM

annual cleaning???? annual servicing??? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Billie G 04-04-2008 05:31 AM

I have to take my serger in yearly. It costs $150 to $200 each time. I really run it to almost death. The cutting blade needs replaced + various other things. I use it mostly to do old levi pieces for Billie blankets. My old Singer (that only goes back & forward) gets serviced by ME! I have taken it apart several times & believe it or not-I get ALL the pieces back & in the right places. When ol'steady freddy singer decides to have a r&r without notice-I am really lost! I guess that I'll have to get that new/used one I got(that supposedly does embrodery, & figure out how to wind the bobbins. LOL