Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I got to wondering if.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-got-wondering-if-t8586.html)

Granny Cat 06-29-2008 11:56 AM

any of you get hooked on making a certain block and don't necessarily have a plan for that block at the moment but you just make a bunch of them until you have a good sized stack?...I really like making the paper piece pattern I started and I really am not too sure yet what I will do with it so for now I'm just making the blocks I make three of four a day...I guess when I get enough of them I'll figure out what to do with them...how many others do this same thing?...

quiltwoman 06-29-2008 11:58 AM

Well... I have a whole drawer full of a paper pieced block that I loved. I ran out of fabric. Someday, I'll find another fabric to go along with it. :lol:

I am more into the fabric than the block.

Minda 06-29-2008 12:12 PM

I have 24 maple leaf blocks, which makes me think I should do something with them. Which paper-pieced block are you making? The guild I belong to had a paper-piecing workshop yesterday, and made a quilt to donate to our local theatre group. Please post pictures of your blocks. We would love to see them.

user3587 06-29-2008 01:01 PM

Granny Cat the lap quilt I showed earlier was done just like that. I liked the fabric I had and I liked the block. I just started making blocks with no ideal of how I was going to lay them out. That's part of the reason for the gold strips within the quilt. I had to have something so the blocks would line up. I knew I didn't want just a quilt with blocks just alike so I came up with the strips and then embroideried in each cross section. I had absolutely no idea where I was going with the block until it was finished. I think that's why I had so much fun making this.

Granny Cat 06-29-2008 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by okie
Granny Cat the lap quilt I showed earlier was done just like that. I liked the fabric I had and I liked the block. I just started making blocks with no ideal of how I was going to lay them out. That's part of the reason for the gold strips within the quilt. I had to have something so the blocks would line up. I knew I didn't want just a quilt with blocks just alike so I came up with the strips and then embroideried in each cross section. I had absolutely no idea where I was going with the block until it was finished. I think that's why I had so much fun making this.

that makes me feel alot better because I have no idea but right now I am enjoying just making the blocks...hard to believe after seeing your finished product that it was just made with no idea before hand...it sure turned out pretty..

Jim's Gem 06-29-2008 01:30 PM

Yes, I have done that, the first time was when I made my eldest daughter's quilt.(in 2000) I ended up with a queen for her and a queen for me and at 80 more 6 1/2 blocks yet to deal with. Last year I made a pretty Pansy block with purples yellows and greens, there are a dozen 12 1/2 in blocks in a bag in the garage I can't decide if I want a whole quilt or a wall hanging or...... so it sits. There at least 3 more collections of blocks that I made and I loved the fabric at the time and am not sure what I want to do with them. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that does this!!! Someday I will finish all these collections of blocks!!

Granny Cat 06-29-2008 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Yes, I have done that, the first time was when I made my eldest daughter's quilt.(in 2000) I ended up with a queen for her and a queen for me and at 80 more 6 1/2 blocks yet to deal with. Last year I made a pretty Pansy block with purples yellows and greens, there are a dozen 12 1/2 in blocks in a bag in the garage I can't decide if I want a whole quilt or a wall hanging or...... so it sits. There at least 3 more collections of blocks that I made and I loved the fabric at the time and am not sure what I want to do with them. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that does this!!! Someday I will finish all these collections of blocks!!

seriously sometimes it's just enough to make the blocks nothing mind boggling just making blocks...haha...I can deal later with what do with them...thats alot of block makin you did...

ScubaK 06-29-2008 08:29 PM

If you figure out a project or quilt for those blocks...they become a WIP
If you just keep making them and they go into a storage spot...they are a UFO...
We all have tons of them...
K

retrogirl02 06-29-2008 08:37 PM

Loretta, do you purchase the boxes at your favorite pizza place? GREAT idea!
Oh, yes GrannyCat I definitely fit into the playing around with blocks group. Sometimes I only make one and try to do 12 in finished so someday if I get to it, I'll have a sampler. Then again, I may not. I started my current project with one block----just to see if I could do it. I love a challenge but can't stay focused on the project unless I REALLY love the patterns I'm working with. I have to make little due dates for myself or I get so side tracked trying out more stuff....uh, quilting ADD. :lol:

Granny Cat 06-30-2008 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
Loretta, do you purchase the boxes at your favorite pizza place? GREAT idea!
Oh, yes GrannyCat I definitely fit into the playing around with blocks group. Sometimes I only make one and try to do 12 in finished so someday if I get to it, I'll have a sampler. Then again, I may not. I started my current project with one block----just to see if I could do it. I love a challenge but can't stay focused on the project unless I REALLY love the patterns I'm working with. I have to make little due dates for myself or I get so side tracked trying out more stuff....uh, quilting ADD. :lol:

girl side tracted is my middle name and quilting is one huge side tract to me because I see something I like I jump on it a few min later I see something else I jump on it to....hahaha...the pizza boxes is such a great idea I need to find me some and start stacking them up...it does take the pressure off when you just make some blocks and save them without having to have an agenda.....