Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have no idea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-no-idea-t153874.html)

Tartan 09-18-2011 09:19 AM

I am sure there are people who are paid to produce quilts from fabric lines or paid to put them on their blogs. I love a lot of the newer fabric lines but they are very distinctive. Sometimes so distinctive that only fabrics from the same line will go with them. I don't buy a lot of them for that reason. I like to quilt from a certain pattern or idea, not by trying to find a pattern to go with a certain fabric.

HomespunHandmaiden 09-18-2011 09:22 AM

I love designer fabrics and frankly if they are given the fabrics to advertise then I would so do something like that...talk about fun! :D :D :D

Phannie1 09-18-2011 09:31 AM

I do not set out to find designer fabrics but I have found the quality is in the designer fabrics. I appreciate the better fabrics and I will pay more to know my work will last and the beauty will be there.

QuiltnNan 09-18-2011 09:39 AM

a gal in our guild makes quilts for the various fabric manufacturers. she always has leftover pieces and passes them out to us. i know she has a blog. so that is how she always has great lines of fabrics in her quilts.

ChaiQuilter 09-18-2011 09:44 AM

Actually, there is some kind of law out there that bloggers must disclose if they are compensated with money or products.

Peckish 09-18-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
Actually, there is some kind of law out there that bloggers must disclose if they are compensated with money or products.

Doesn't mean they will, though. How would such a law be enforced?

Glassquilt 09-18-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish

Doesn't mean they will, though. How would such a law be enforced?

Would that be the IRS? I'd tell Uncle Sam cause he has a long arm.

Greenheron 09-18-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
I see a few big blogs make so many quilts using only designer fabrics and I'm wondering if they are given the fabrics in order to advertise the fabric line. Is this possible?

Possible? Yes----but also some purchase the coordinated assortments, fat quarters, jelly rolls, etc. to make their tops instead of choosing material.

Some sites are sponsored and it seems proper that they would display items featuring the sponsor's lines. There are also sites that give free patterns that are shown with the companies' fabrics.

JulieR 09-18-2011 10:43 AM

No, there isn't.

Sierra 09-19-2011 05:57 AM

I've always presumed that, besides wanting good guality fabric that many quilters are more comfortable making a quilt using fabrics from a "line" or a "set" or whatever its called. It gives confidence that the colors go together well.

Then there are others who relish the act of moving fabrics around their quilt table for a while, or a day or two, before they begin a new quilt.

A few years ago I walked into a quilt store and on one gondola were the same colors (same company) used in several different ways (leaves, dots, stripes, etc.) in colors I love. I bought about 5 variations because I wanted to make pillow covers for the living room. A few weeks after I was proudly done I realized it makes my living room bland. I miss the assorted hodge-podge and find the coordinated pillows dull, too bland, predictable. Oh well, when I finish the next 30 quilts that are bouncing around in my head I may redo the pillows. :) I should add that all the colors were slightly muted and I really like bright colors.