Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question on purses????? Need Help Quick!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-purses-need-help-quick-t164601.html)

NanaCsews2 10-31-2011 05:59 AM

What I do (among other things used) is take a school binder and cut the cardboard to 1/2" shorter on length and width of the purse bottom. The cardboard is covered in vinyl. I then cover with the fabric I use for the inside. I do not insert this so it is permanent in the purse. I leave one end of the bottom inside of the purse 'open' so that I can slip the vinyl covered cardboard in and out of the purse when washing. Not all of my patterns have a separate layer of fabric in the bottom for inserting this, so I add the layer before sewing all the bottom seams. One short side is hemmed under and that is the side the cardboard/plastic/acrylic slides in and out of. I get the binders for .99 sometimes and I can get from 2-4 inserts out of them depending on the size of the purse.

Kat Sews 10-31-2011 06:09 AM

I have used the lid from a plastic box (after the box was broken). Tub surround scraps from a remodel. Roll up kitchen cutting mats. plastic from bacon package. About anything washable will work, and it saves putting so much in landfill.

Jersey Gal 10-31-2011 06:15 AM

You could use an old cutting mat, or plastic placemats as CarrieC suggested.

cheaha39 10-31-2011 06:30 AM

The minute the elections are over, I help the canidates by removing signs made of corigated plastic. They work great and can be cut to size with an exacto knife.

I do call the canidate for an ok, as they may want to reuse the signs for their next run. Save a few signs, on the wires, makes a great base for yard sale signs.

Chigger Holler Quilter 10-31-2011 07:19 AM

I use thin sunglasses from Lowes, Home depot, etc...they will make one or two cuts for free and you can also cut at home. Make a 'sleeve' to cover and slip it in. Works well and no bending or folding!

memepat 10-31-2011 07:27 AM

In a pinch I have used milk cartons, cat food containers, large washing detergent, etc.(washed/plastic) for the bottome of round item or small items. Some fit perfect.

susie-susie-susie 10-31-2011 07:43 AM

I found some plastic placemats at the Dollar Store that were thicker than most plastics and made the bottoms for 2 Bow Tuck purses so that came to $0.50 each. I always make them so they are removable. I simply make a sleeve to fit and sew it closed. I find the stiffer bottom doesn't need to be washed very often.
Sue

Tink's Mom 10-31-2011 08:43 AM

Dollar store cutting mat??? The plastic back from a school notebook ??

Central Ohio Quilter 10-31-2011 09:54 AM

I have used the boards from old clipboards. They are very sturdy. I just measure the size I need and then cut it with a jigsaw.

Eileen 10-31-2011 01:36 PM

Cute purse. I use two pieces of fusible timtex. I fuse the two pieces tpgether and when the outer portion of the purse is completed, I will fuse the timtex into the bottom. This way the bottom is very sturdy and very washable. I have no problem with it getting soft and bending with two layers.