Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question regarding preparation for a tied quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-regarding-preparation-tied-quilt-t166112.html)

AnotherMadQuilter 11-05-2011 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Tartan;4633812]Someone posted about using their Q-snap floor quilting frame for tying. They started by laying one section of the sandwich at a time on the frame and then putting on the snap part to tighten a section at a time. When that section was smooth, they put in their ties and then moved to a new section as needed. It sounded like something I would try the next time I wanted to bast or tie a quilt. I already have a Q-snap floor frame.QUOTE]

This is how I did my last king sized quilt. Turned out very nice. Grandaughter loved it. Here is a pic of 1/4 of it. Didn't get a pic of it completed. I tied a yoyo in the center of each large block and made a pillow sham to match. I need to start taking pics more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]282251[/ATTACH]

Edie 11-05-2011 07:43 AM

I just finished a quilt. I pinned it down and used an 18" hoop and tied it down with Variegated Perle Cotton Thread. It turned out beautiful. The thread turned out really sweet after I washed and dried it. Very pleased with it. I use the hoop to keep everything drum taut! My family makes fun of me when I refer to anything I want done perfect - "It has to be drum taut." Edie

Edie 11-05-2011 07:45 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention. I start dead center and work my way out angle-wise to keep everything in order. I end up finishing top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left. Have Fun! Edie

fluffygirl 11-05-2011 08:25 AM

I safety pin as if I were going to quilt it, then work from the center out also. Make sure you check the batting package so you know how far apart to tie. I usually just sit on the floor and drape it in my lap. It always feels great to get to the edge!

Pat

Nana2Sew 11-05-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez (Post 4635473)
I just sandwich my quilt, I bought some pinmoors awhile back and pin the sandwiched quilt, then I tie about every 4-5inches.

This is my method for tying quilts........works well........love pinmoors!

pattyrg 11-05-2011 08:48 AM

What is a "pinmoor"? This is a new term to me. Thanks.

littlebitoheaven 11-05-2011 09:29 AM

Thank you. You have been so helpful. I haven't tied a quilt for several years (before adhesive spray) and wondered if it was the way to go. With your help, I now know that it is okay to just lay out the 3 layers, pin and then tie. I so appreciate your time and help. Yolanda Wood River

PS: I will post a photo of the quilt when finished. I am replacing a quilt that my daughter made in the 70s, which her son left at a park after going to the fireworks. She had tied her quilt and so I am going to tie this one. Trying to finish it for her birthday on 11/24. Y