Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-t82267.html)

jme 12-15-2010 06:39 AM

I get some of my favorite fabrics from cutting up old clothes. In fact, I lost my dad at the beginning of the year and saved lots of his shirts to make me a quilt.

quilter 76 12-15-2010 07:54 AM

Hi, I volunteer at our local food panrty, we also have a household/clothing bank there. When items are there way too long the gal running it saves them for me to make quilts out of. Some of course the materail is not suitable, but most any type can be used for charity quilts, which is what I make. I make quilts for our kids too, but mostly for charity. I have been sewing since I was 5, am now 76 and still love to sew. Anna

wildyard 12-16-2010 02:42 PM

Just a reminder to save all your little bits for making crumbles or to pass on to those who do use crumbs. There will be a lot of fabric not good for squares that will work well for crumbs.

Windsong 12-23-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Just a reminder to save all your little bits for making crumbles or to pass on to those who do use crumbs. There will be a lot of fabric not good for squares that will work well for crumbs.

What are crumbles? This is the first time I have heard this term used.
Windsong

Windsong 12-23-2010 08:53 PM

Thanks for all your feed back. Right now I have just finished up the queen-sized quilt top for my Grandson and am working on a king-sized commission quilt. I have my sons' wall hanging ready to quilt and have finished a table runner for my daughters' Christmas gift. I forgot to take a picture of it before I wraped it, tho. It was made with all half-square triangles and bound in satin blanket binding. It turned out real pretty, but I don't want to do anymore half-square triangles for a while...haha. It is a 22" by 64" table runner. Hope she likes it. My Lenni Long-arm sewing machine system with a 12ft table has been delayed being shipped for 2 weeks because of back order. I was hoping to have it here and set up by Christmas. I will have two quilts to quilt and need to get them quilted.

Windsong

quilter 76 12-24-2010 04:12 PM

Hi I never heard that word either, crumbs. And I ahve been quilting for 71 years. Started at age 5 helping my Mom tie quilts. Got the bug early. But if it means peices and I think it does. I make lot os charity quilts useing pieces, some quite small. They make lovely crazy quilts.
Quilter 76

Momof3Es 12-24-2010 04:15 PM

I think you can make a quilt out of just about any type of fabric!! At least that's what I've learned from being on this board!!!LOL!! Just make sure to post pics!!! Merry Christmas

wildyard 12-29-2010 07:02 PM

Crumbs are the little bitty pieces that many of us toss away as being too small to be useful, even in scrappy quilts.
I just like to call the squares made from crumbs crumbles, my own made up term. Smiles and hugssssss