Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have ZERO notions... what do I really need? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-zero-notions-what-do-i-really-need-t180466.html)

lovequilts722 02-23-2012 10:19 PM

I have ZERO notions... what do I really need?

Hi all.... I'm really new here. :)

I used my aunt's quilting notions (including her machine - a very basic Janome) when I made my first quilt top. I went to her house for quilting, etc. so I never really had any reason to buy my own notions.

Now, before I knew about the world of sewing machines, I bought a Black Friday Special sewing machine at Target. It's a Singer Promise. My aunt has set it up for me and says it sews fine, but I haven't actually used it yet. I know it won't be a machine for the long haul, but it willl at least get me started I hope. I don't have the money for an expensive machine at this point.

Back to the notions... Hancock's is holding a 3 or 4 day sale on quilting and sewing notions for 50% off! I figured this would be as good a time as any to get what I need. Just the basics. That's where I thought you all would come in handy! What sorts of rulers, thread, cutting mat, etc. would you all recommend for a beginner?

THANK YOU!!!!
Candace :)

quiltsRfun 02-23-2012 10:32 PM

What were the notions you used most at your aunt's? Why not start there. My suggestion would be a rotary cutter, the largest mat you can afford, 12 x 6 ruler, seam ripper, small thread scissors (I very seldom use my large ones) and several spools of thread in neutral colors. Also extra needles for your sewing machine and maybe some hand sewing needles and a thimble. Almost forgot the pins. I like long, thin ones.

BETTY62 02-23-2012 11:04 PM

I agree with quiltsRfun. I think she has it pretty much covered. And, a big welcome from Texas.

quiltingcandy 02-23-2012 11:10 PM

I also agree with quiltsrun. Maybe you could look on-line and see if there are some beginner kits available. Olfa used to have a kit with a rotary cutter and mat which was cheaper than buying the mat. And the pins that I like are the flat flower head pins.

lovequilts722 02-23-2012 11:15 PM

Thanks ladies! I saw on a quilting tutorial on YouTube this neat rotating cutting mat! I definitely want to see if I can swing one of those. :)

NJ Quilter 02-24-2012 04:18 AM

I would add a 6 x 24 ruler as well. And check to see if you can easily see the lines when laid on fabric. I personally like rulers with black lines vs. the yellow ones. Far easier to read. Lay the ruler on top of fabrics that you're attracted to and see what works best for you. The rotating mat really is the cat's meow! Especially for trimming up squares. I've just done almost 300 2 1/2 in. HST's in the last couple of days. And get some extra blades for your rotary cutter as well. Nothing cuts better than a new blade. But you want a mat at least 24" in one direction for cutting larger pieces of fabric.

karenpatrick 02-24-2012 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5003066)
What were the notions you used most at your aunt's? Why not start there. My suggestion would be a rotary cutter, the largest mat you can afford, 12 x 6 ruler, seam ripper, small thread scissors (I very seldom use my large ones) and several spools of thread in neutral colors. Also extra needles for your sewing machine and maybe some hand sewing needles and a thimble. Almost forgot the pins. I like long, thin ones.

I agree with all the above except i would get a 6 X 24 ruler. Sometimes 12" is not wide enough to cut fabric. Welcome tot he board from Indiana. You're gonna like it here.

Drue 02-24-2012 04:54 AM

You might want to check out ebay for your rotary cutter replacement blades, they tend to be some less expensive even after the shipping costs. They also have rulers and notions you might be interested in...check them out.

Welcome to the board from another Texas gal. Good luck and good stitchin'

luvTooQuilt 02-24-2012 04:57 AM

don't forget the dreaded seam ripper... Ive bought so many kinds over the years and my favorite it the Clover (with the brown handle)

Good luck and welcome..... Hope you like it here...

deedum 02-24-2012 05:00 AM

I agree, I would only buy the Clover seam ripper!They are the best.