Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Heard About a GREAT Deal Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-heard-about-great-deal-today-t22239.html)

Angie 07-02-2009 09:28 PM

Thanks! I just bought it!

SulaBug 07-02-2009 10:42 PM

Thank you again for this great info!!
:D :D :D :D

MollieSue 07-03-2009 06:56 AM

I just bought it too! :D :D
So much for cleaning, etc, today! lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Prism99 07-03-2009 08:36 AM

Thanks so much for posting this! I had wanted this for a long time, but the last time I Googled it was about $35 with shipping.

kay carlson 07-03-2009 09:23 AM

Thanks for the tip! I've just ordered the CD because I want to be able to browse through it on DH's laptop when we travel.

Piecefully yours,
Kay Susan

AtHomeSewing 07-03-2009 10:44 AM

I was about to buy this collection, thinking how convenient to simply be able to download it! :) However, while deciding whether to order the CD or download I became a little bit concerned about the legality of selling (or even having on my computer) downloads of of this CD content, distributed electronically by a company other than Quilter's Newsletter.

The material is copyrighted. So, how would QN receive its just compensation for download-only sales made by another company? It seems unlikely to me that the seller would pay for a license to sell this content as downloads, even if such license was available, given their claim for the low price is to clear this product from their warehouse.

If by some possiblity downloads are being sold "by mistake" then owning them would not legal either.

Any thoughts on if this is okay, and if so, how?

:shock:

Prism99 07-03-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I was about to buy this collection, thinking how convenient to simply be able to download it! :) However, while deciding whether to order the CD or download I became a little bit concerned about the legality of selling (or even having on my computer) downloads of of this CD content, distributed electronically by a company other than Quilter's Newsletter.

The material is copyrighted. So, how would QN receive its just compensation for download-only sales made by another company? It seems unlikely to me that the seller would pay for a license to sell this content as downloads, even if such license was available, given their claim for the low price is to clear this product from their warehouse.

If by some possiblity downloads are being sold "by mistake" then owning them would not legal either.

Any thoughts on if this is okay, and if so, how?

:shock:

Not an expert, but my understanding is that Quilt-Pro is an authorized distributor of this CD. I assume there is a legal agreement in place for the downloads as well as the CD sales.

AtHomeSewing 07-03-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Not an expert, but my understanding is that Quilt-Pro is an authorized distributor of this CD. I assume there is a legal agreement in place for the downloads as well as the CD sales.

Thank you for your response. By any chance do you have a source? I can't find any information about this on their website, or anywhere else.

I am curious as there are people I actually know who just went through a huge lawsuit regarding exactly the same thing: a company selling downloads of their copyrighted works over the net.

I would love to buy this and not wait, but I'm apprehensive about this issue. I wonder why QN isn't offering this product as a download from their own Store online.

Shemjo 07-03-2009 11:33 AM

Good question. :?

Prism99 07-03-2009 11:40 AM

According to this website, Quilt-Pro teamed up with QNM to develop the software:

http://www.softexpressions.com/software/cd/QNM.htm

"Quilt-Pro and Benartex teaming up with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine to bring you an interactive CD that offers 5 years of articles and projects on CD is just one signal of the maturation of computer quilting! "

I would assume QNM is savvy enough to not permit their partner to sell unauthorized copies of the software.

This CD might have sold well when it first came out, but it is "old" software now. QNM may not find enough profit margin in it to sell on their website, or they could have sold all their CD inventory and the right to sell downloads to Q-P.

What kind of downloaded software did your friends get in trouble for?