Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just bought a Gingher rotary blade and it's the bomb!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-bought-gingher-rotary-blade-its-bomb-t197426.html)

mucky 08-12-2012 03:55 PM

Darn just bought a new olfa and 10 blades but will try the Ginghers when I run out which won't take me that long. Mine seem to get dull awfully fast.

momto5 08-12-2012 04:57 PM

I just bought a second Gingher rotary cutter; the blade on the first was silver, the one on the new one is black. Wonder why they switched?

Deborahlees 08-13-2012 08:24 AM

I just went to the Gingher website, all new blades are now black and they are calling them "Non stick" I am guessing some sort of teflon coating.......never knew I could send my scissors directly to Gingher for sharpening....they charge $7.50 for any of THEIR scissors, be it pinking or snips.....

BellaBoo 08-13-2012 09:20 AM

Gingher blades are superior to most rotary blade. I learned to take extra care when I started using Gingher blades, they cost more then the other blades so I made myself be more careful how I treated them. No more slivers off the ruler and making sure there was no pins at all under the fabric. LOL. I bought five at a time and still have three left from my first order. Dated 2003. Good stuff lasts with care.

BellaBoo 08-13-2012 09:22 AM

Walmart sells the Gingher blades for $12.10 each.

leighway 08-14-2012 03:49 AM

I once did some volunteer sewing at a group where the "bossy" quilter had brought a cutting mat that was some kind of clear semi-hard plastic. She insisted everything be rotary cut on it and I watched a brand new fiskar blade go dull in a matter of 10 cuts. I'm wondering how many of us who find our blades aren't lasting well, actually have a problem with the mat underneath? Needless to say, she disgusted me and I quietly left. Meanwhile, nothing anyone cuts there is straight or on grain...imagine!

junegerbracht 08-14-2012 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5437979)
I just went to the Gingher website, all new blades are now black and they are calling them "Non stick" I am guessing some sort of teflon coating.......never knew I could send my scissors directly to Gingher for sharpening....they charge $7.50 for any of THEIR scissors, be it pinking or snips.....

Thanks for the information about sharpening! I too like the blades but have not gotten used to the cutter - still it was a good investment - with a 50% off coupon.

gollytwo 08-14-2012 04:09 AM

I've had the same experience with Martelli blades.

gollytwo 08-14-2012 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5438093)
Walmart sells the Gingher blades for $12.10 each.

thanks for the info - am going there today, so will look

callen 08-14-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5436039)
My LQS owner owns a Gingher rotary cutter and cut a layer cake into 5" squares for me in less than 2 minutes. She told me to forget the cutter but to buy the blade. So I did. I love it. I can cut so many layers of fabric with it. I think it cost $12. I absolutely love it. She said she's used the same one for 9 months at her store. Awesome!!!!

From what you are saying, these blades fit other rotary cutters. The ones I have are Olfa & I would like to try these blades but want to make sure they fit. Please confirm. Thank you.