Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just love handquilting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-love-handquilting-t108313.html)

ginnie6 03-17-2011 05:13 AM

I started out handquilting...but for two years now I've been rushing trying to get all my kids quilts (working on the last one now) and doing a couple of giveaways. With rushing I've also been pushing to teach myself machine quilting cause it is so much faster. But I sandwiched my little dresser scarf yesterday and sat down with it last night. Oh the joy! I'm using perle cotton to quilt it doing the big stitch quilting. I sat there and quilted till 11 last night! I'm usually lights out by 9:30-10. I don't want to do anything else today but that. But I will make myself go thru my day.....get the kids school done, cleaning, and such and reward myself tonight. I can't wait to finish it but at the same time I just want to keep on working on it! I do have a wall hanging thats a ufo that I can do next and a lapquilt too. I have missed this!

CarrieAnne 03-17-2011 05:19 AM

I do too. Yesterday the computer was broke, so I started hand quilting a quilt for my wall. I just love hand work.

Hinterland 03-17-2011 05:19 AM

I'm glad to know there's another addict.

I'm between quilts right now, and my sewing room is temporarily being used as storage...I'm going nuts without some hand quilting to do. :(

Janet

Tussymussy 03-17-2011 05:53 AM

I Love hand piecing and quilting. It is such a relaxing way to make a quilt. Ok, it takes a long time, but it gives such pride and satisfaction.

I have tried machine quilting, but I just felt a slave to the sewing machine, which I really love but don't want to sit at it all day!

Claddaughquilting 03-17-2011 05:56 AM

Another hand quilter here! Very relaxing, and rewarding when completed. I use my machine sometimes on smaller projects...but I am basically "sewing" not "quilting"...don't really know how to do it, so all my large quilts are done by hand.
I think the end results of hand and machine quilting are very different, both beautiful and works of art.
Happy quilting!

Holice 03-17-2011 06:07 AM

Hand quilting is alive and well....HOURAYYYYYYY

emerald46 03-17-2011 06:51 AM

It is the best therapy in the world! I'm like in another zone.

maryb119 03-17-2011 06:57 AM

I'm a hand quilter too, especially if I am using reproduction fabrics like 30's prints or Civil War prints because I want to have that old fashion look. I do some machine quilting but I prefer hand quilting. It's so relaxing at the end of the day to stitch a quilt. My quilts are like a diary with everything stitched into them.

Borntohandquilt 03-17-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Hand quilting is alive and well....HOURAYYYYYYY

YES! And I really hope it remains like this! This wonderful craft should be continued and protected in our hectic world and I am happy to hear and see there are still hand quilters who do that.

Jan in VA 03-17-2011 08:41 AM

Add my voice to the hand quilters! It is so calming, and it's rewarding when the work is done. I love starting a new project and watching it grow toward completion. Right now, though, I'm only working on hand doing the binding of my latest hand quilted project. I'll try to get pictures next week when it is presented to the lady who did the candlewicking on the original blocks.

Jan in VA