Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I like the invisible thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-like-invisible-thread-t111949.html)

Dina 03-30-2011 07:09 AM

I have avoided using the invisible thread, as I have read many quilters not liking it. However, my sister convinced me to try it, top thread only, and even gave me a spool of it.

I really like it. She did suggest that I clip my threads as I go, as doing it later might be challenging. Made sense, and I have been doing that.

I am just beginning to do stuff "outside my comfort zone" when it comes to quilting, and this has given me confidence!! I might even have enough confidence going to try the Trip Around the World pattern, which I looked at recently and decided it wasn't something I would be successful at.

hoppyfrog 03-30-2011 07:35 AM

Please don't use it on charity or childrens quilts. It can melt. Also little ones can't tell you what's poking them.

Grama Lehr 03-30-2011 07:36 AM

I like it too, a lot of people say not to use it on baby quilts. They can wrap a lose thread around their tiny little fingers and cut off circulation.

Dina 03-30-2011 07:41 AM

Okay, thanks for the advice. I currently only sew for myself...no baby or charity quilts, but I appreciate knowing when not to use it.

featherweight 03-30-2011 09:31 AM

I don't care for it but, everyone to their own opinion. I hate the little poky thread ends, even when they have been trimmed.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-30-2011 09:35 AM

I like invisible thread, too.

As for the Trip Around the World, it's really not that hard. Eleanor Burns' book is very good for it.

Dina 03-30-2011 10:18 AM

Thanks for the encouragement for the Trip Around the World. I need it. :)

luvspaper 03-30-2011 10:44 AM

I used it on part of a quilt for my son and can't say I will use it again. I tend to like the cotton ones actually.

It was nice however when there were a lot of distinct colors in the quilt.

TonnieLoree 03-30-2011 11:02 AM

I use monofillament (invisible) thread only for wall hangings. I don't like the pokey things either. For the most part, MF is great, especially if you have a multi-colored item and can't decide on one neutral color thread. That is correct to only use it as your top thread.

A Trip Around the World is so easy. It is one that I recommend for beginners. Before I ever read a tutorial about it I made a small wall-hanging and cut each block out with scissors individually, then sewed them together one at a time. That was time consuming. Try Google: Trip Around the World Quilt/free and see if you can find an easy method for strip piecing. (Oh, the hours I wasted prior to that)

TonnieLoree 03-30-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
Please don't use it on charity or childrens quilts. It can melt. Also little ones can't tell you what's poking them.

Wouldn't the whole quilt go up in flames as well or is the fire picky? :lol: