Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need baby quilt advice! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-baby-quilt-advice-t197060.html)

sandilee 08-08-2012 02:12 PM

I just finished 2 baby quilts with cut out 3-4" squares. I made one and someone else seen it and wanted me to make them one. They liked it better cause it was different. It's different from the usual nursery scenes/noah's ark, etc., scenes. Be sure to post a pic.

patsynel 08-08-2012 02:12 PM

I make baby quilts for the babies christened in my Church. They are usually between 36" to 42" square. No set rule so it is your choice.

Sarah in Brooklyn 08-08-2012 02:13 PM

cute! I wish I could quilt that well, though.

quiltsRfun 08-08-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 5426936)
I'm going to try laying out some squares tonight and see where I get.

Don't forget your seam allowances when you figure your final size. Add alternating plain blocks if you need more to get the size you want.

Jeanette Frantz 08-08-2012 02:47 PM

I need baby quilt advice

There's nothing wrong with square! I usually (but haven't done that many since I am a rank amateur) try to make a quilt crib size (45" X 60"). You can choose your size and decide what you want to do with it. The baby quilt I made about 10 years ago, was a Sunbonnet Sue, and the pattern book was originally supposed to be 28" X 36" (I think that's too small, by a long ways). The Sunbonnet Sue quilt is a LOT of work -- with all the appliqued blocks -- I enlarged the patterns and doubled the number of blocks to end up 45" X 60" on that one. I goofed on the one I working on -- math-wise, but it's still turning out pretty good!

Good luck with your quilt and be sure to post your pics!

Jeanette Frantz

irishrose 08-08-2012 03:08 PM

For years baby quilts were 36X44. I still think is a good size. I sold many preprinted panels that size at JoAnn's when they were the rage and patterns were designed for that size, too.

Sarah in Brooklyn 08-08-2012 05:55 PM

well, because I was sort of in a panic today I only bought 3/4 yard of the backing. And I am under serious time pressure here! So it's going to be 25 x 30 and that's all she wrote. It'll be a nice little crib blanket and if the baby likes it she can carry it around as a "lovey" when she's bigger. If I had more time I'd get more creative, but this needs to be done by 9/5! I'll post a picture, for sure!

quiltsRfun 08-08-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 5427577)
well, because I was sort of in a panic today I only bought 3/4 yard of the backing. And I am under serious time pressure here! So it's going to be 25 x 30 and that's all she wrote. It'll be a nice little crib blanket and if the baby likes it she can carry it around as a "lovey" when she's bigger. If I had more time I'd get more creative, but this needs to be done by 9/5! I'll post a picture, for sure!

Sounds good to me. Be sure to show us the finished quilt.

M.I.Late 08-08-2012 07:16 PM

Don't forget you can also pick up some matching fat quarter blenders and cut 5" squares to mingle in amongst the others. I think I would want it to be at least 36 x 42. They do grow.

Sarah in Brooklyn 08-09-2012 03:43 AM

Ok, you've all convinced me! I'll make it 36 x 40 and add a border to the backing.