Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help deciding on a sewing machine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-deciding-sewing-machine-t37482.html)

veronda.47 02-20-2010 03:27 PM

I am needing to purchase a sewing machine for the primary
purpose of making quilts. I will be taking beginner's quilting
lessons after I purchase and learn the basics of this sewing
machine. I don't want to invest a large sum of money, but do
want something user-friendly and reliable. Any advice on a
machine with a price-range of maybe $300 - $400 ?

MarthaVA 02-20-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by veronda.47
I am needing to purchase a sewing machine for the primary
purpose of making quilts. I will be taking beginner's quilting
lessons after I purchase and learn the basics of this sewing
machine. I don't want to invest a large sum of money, but do
want something user-friendly and reliable. Any advice on a
machine with a price-range of maybe $300 - $400 ?

I was in Hancock Fabrics today and I was looking at their machines while there. They have the Janome 8077 machine on sale reg $359 on sale for $259.

I'm also keeping my eyes open for a good machine. But I went to the Janome website, and I can't find that model machine anywhere. Is it a knockoff?

I'm going to post to see if anyone else has the 8077 and what they think of it.

Good luck and I'll be watching this subject since I'm looking for about the same thing!
Martha
O, and WELCOME!

maryb119 02-20-2010 03:40 PM

I would talk to a sewing machine dealer. If a new machine is not in your price range, maybe a refurbished one is. I would avoid Walmart machines. A dealer will help you with upkeep and tiips on how to run the machine and get the most for your money. Customer service it important.

veronda.47 02-20-2010 03:46 PM

I don't know if that model is a knockoff, but I looked at the
Janome 7330 at a local quilting store for $349.00. Also,
at Joann's Fabric store I looked at a Singer 7469Q that was
supposed to go on sale on 2/21 for $299.00. Does anyone
know if those are good quilting machines?

Prism99 02-20-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by veronda.47
I don't know if that model is a knockoff, but I looked at the
Janome 7330 at a local quilting store for $349.00. Also,
at Joann's Fabric store I looked at a Singer 7469Q that was
supposed to go on sale on 2/21 for $299.00. Does anyone
know if those are good quilting machines?

New Singer machines (with the exception of some of the higher-priced top-of-the-line embroidery models) have a bad reputation. I would stay away from those.

If I were on a budget, I would be looking at the Sears Kenmore machines. They are supposed to be branded Janomes.

In terms of basic functions you need on a machine, the very minimum is infinite stitch length adjustment and infinie stitch width adjustment. Stay away from machines that have fixed length/width stitch selections; they become very limiting.

I would also want a minimum of the needle-down function (allows you to set machine to stop always in the needle-down position) and several needle position adjustments (so you can move the needle left and right of center).

nursie76 02-20-2010 05:27 PM

The higher end Singers are probably ok, but I got one about 2 years ago for around $350, supposed to be a quilting machine. It was horrible for that! I gave it to my son and my hubby talked me into a used Bernina. I am so glad, because if I had only the singer to use, I never would have quilted again.

Good used machines are a great idea. Talk to a dealer. I know there is a little beginner Janome for $400 new, perhaps a used Janome, a little above beginner would be afforable.

Good luck.

mamaw 02-20-2010 05:31 PM

I am very happy with my Janome that I got for $399. It has needle up or down, threader, needle moves to side for a perfect 1/4",3 speeds, a nice selection of stitches and have not had any problems with it at all.

veronda.47 02-20-2010 05:41 PM

Thanks very much

veronda.47 02-20-2010 05:42 PM

Thank you. I am really leaning toward purchasing the
Janome.

sewingladydi 02-20-2010 07:29 PM

I love my basic 30 year old Kenmore more than my expensive 15 year old Viking.

I would recommend that you go to Sears and check on the Kenmores. I haven't looked at them lately, but they usually are not too expensive. Or try the Sears website to get an idea of features/price.