Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help! Poly Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-poly-batting-t171521.html)

knlsmith 12-09-2011 03:37 PM

I need help! Poly Batting

I am quilting a quilt for a friend that her deceased grandma hand pieced. She wants poly batting. So I get it out of the package (she purchased) and O M G!!! This stuff is soooooo wrinkled! I use wool or cotton and can get the wrinkles out of those. But what on earth do I do to get this stuff straightened out? I have it undone and laying across my longarm. I need to get this done today and tomorrow because I still have to bind it and I am working 10 hour days.

I sure hope someone has a trick or tip that can help me out.

I have to get my truck from the shop now, but I will be checking as soon as I get home.

Thank you all so much!

Dina 12-09-2011 03:44 PM

I am just guessing, but can you put it in the dryer for a few minutes? Just a guess. I will be reading this to see what is the real answer.

Dina

deemail 12-09-2011 04:07 PM

put in dryer with a couple of hand towels that are wet. i wet them thoroughly, wring by hand and then put in the dryer with the batting...the steam will help wonderfully, but have a space ready to lay it out immediately...if it stays balled up while it cools, you will just have a new set of wrinkles... smooth out on a bed right away and let it cool completely...will do great...

thepolyparrot 12-09-2011 04:34 PM

It will probably relax all by itself by the time you get home, but the wet towels in the dryer is how I prepare my batts, too. Good luck!

aborning 12-09-2011 04:57 PM

I used to lay the batting on thr ironing board and take the iron and hold it above (NOT on the batting) and keep pressing the steam buttom to steam out the wrinkles. But that was alot of work. So I bought a clothes steamer and it works wonderful to get the wrinkles out of packaged batting. I simply old the batting up and move the steamer up and down until I have the whole thing done. I do not unroll the whole batting--I just unroll it out of the bag and then hold it up and steam both sides and it is then pretty flat when I unfold it. Works for my anyway.

knlsmith 12-09-2011 05:17 PM

Awesome! Didn't know the dryer would work with poly. I will give it a try right after supper. Thanks a whole big bunch everyone! :)

ckcowl 12-09-2011 05:24 PM

make sure to not let the dryer get too hot- or you will melt your poly batting and have a hard clump.
a fluff setting is good

knlsmith 12-10-2011 05:20 AM

I put it in the dryer with a pair of hubbys jeans that just finished washing. Put in on low for 5 min then took out and moved it around and put back for another 3 min. Got rid of the creases. Still bumpy, but not all crinkled. I can dfinitely work with it now. I have it laid out across my frame until I start quilting todayt.

Thanks again!!

donnalynett 12-10-2011 09:48 AM

Since all my quilts are charity quilts I financially have no choice and have to use polyester batting. I just go ahead and quilt it and I have found the batting will do fine after the quilt is washed and dried. The closer you to get to the of the large rolls of batting, the worse it gets.

pollyjvan9 12-10-2011 10:12 AM

Just going to agree with the dryer suggestions. It works great for me and I use a lot of poly batting.