Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help with quilting a t/shirt quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-quilting-t-shirt-quilt-t199769.html)

Trish88 09-06-2012 05:46 PM

I need help with quilting a t/shirt quilt

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]360920[/ATTACH]
I need some advice....Iam getting ready to do the quilting/free motion part of my t/shirt quilt....everything is coming together as I had hoped BUT I need to do something on the tee shirts so they wont get bunched up and wrinkled after washing.....so what I did is I quilted in the ditch around each t/shirt but I think I need something done in the middle of each shirt....in otherwards can you give me some ideas what kind of stitch to do....I dont want anything thats hard to do...something easy....I was thinking of a wavy stitch thats on my sewing machine.....but Iam kinda scared its going to mess up the pictures on the shirts.......I will post a pic of quilt maybe you can see what I mean.....thx Trish

spokanequilter 09-06-2012 06:09 PM

Can you outline one of the larger shapes in each shirt square? Or, you could just straight line quilt a grid in each section. I'm no expert on free motion, so have no other suggestions. I love the quilt!!! Great choice of fabric! Good luck with it...

AlienQuilter 09-06-2012 06:12 PM

I remember when I did my husbands, I did a meander stitch over all and found out the hard way that it did not like invisible thread - kept breaking on me.

Grandma Bonnie 09-06-2012 07:43 PM

Sorry I'm no help but I love your quilt!

donnalynett 09-06-2012 08:15 PM

I just finished one and did a meandering line and added bubbles along the way.

grammysews4u 09-06-2012 08:46 PM

I do meandering, even on the pictures. I use a ballpoint needle

Trish88 09-07-2012 05:16 AM

Grammy what is a ballpoint needle?
Iam just using a regular sewing machine that does quilting.....and when you do meandering I assume theres no pattern its just like scribbling on paper.....this is my first large quilt and I usually do stitch in the ditch and sometimes I do a pattern that looks like a square or echo I guess thats how I want to explain it....thx Trish

Trish88 09-07-2012 05:19 AM

Donna.....Iam new to all these terms......how do you do bubbles??.......thx Trish

ckcowl 09-07-2012 06:23 AM

ball point needles are needles specifically made for sewing on knit fabrics (like t-shirt fabric) they have a ball-point instead of a sharp point- move between the knit instead of cutting the threads.
also the type of interfacing you used would have something to do with any distortion after the quilt is finished....the interfacing should keep it smooth/flat without any wrinkling, the knits should not really shrink or distort. you might want to take a piece of (scrap) t-shirt fabric & make a practice sandwich and do some experimenting to see what stitch on your machine or design you like before actually doing anything on the real quilt pictures, so you don't do something you don't like then have to take it out.

lakekids 09-07-2012 09:57 AM

On the T-shirt quilts I have made, I usually outline quilt around the motif on the t-shirt wherever possible. If part of the T-shirt block does not have a design on it, I do some form of free motion backgroun quilting. The FMQ background design will vary from block to block - meandering, flames, etc. If I have to quilt through a motif, I slow down because the paint on the T-shirt design can have a tendency to grab the needle and thread - causing thread to break.