Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need ideas for a strawberry quilt! Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-ideas-strawberry-quilt-help-t172080.html)

#1piecemaker 12-15-2011 04:43 AM

I need ideas for a strawberry quilt! Help!!

1 Attachment(s)
When my MIL's doctor visited her yesterday to see how she was doing, (Yes, a housecall) (Can you believe it?) the nurse told him I was a quilter and that was why there was fabric all over the place. hehehe! ( I was so embarrased) When he heard that, he told me that he wanted me to make a baby quilt for his 1 year old granddaughter, Scarlett. He said he wanted big strawberrys on it. I went to the computer and found a strawberry in the clip art section that I think will work for a pattern. I'm open for ideas on how to proceed. Anybody got any? I'm attaching a picture of the strawberry so you can see what you think.

alleyoop1 12-15-2011 04:55 AM

How about buying fabric with strawberries on it and fussy cutting them out and then hand or machine applique them to a pink and white quilt - any pattern you choose.

Judith1005 12-15-2011 05:02 AM

I always like "Snowballs" to feature special fabric or appliques. Then space them with a simple 9-patch maybe done with a small strawberry print and a solid. Simple, but really features the fabric an adorable applique strawberry. Just a suggestion. Will look forward to what you come up with. (and a housecall??, you mean they even sill do those?? (lol) special doctor!!!)

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 4782834)
When my MIL's doctor visited her yesterday to see how she was doing, (Yes, a housecall) (Can you believe it?) the nurse told him I was a quilter and that was why there was fabric all over the place. hehehe! ( I was so embarrased) When he heard that, he told me that he wanted me to make a baby quilt for his 1 year old granddaughter, Scarlett. He said he wanted big strawberrys on it. I went to the computer and found a strawberry in the clip art section that I think will work for a pattern. I'm open for ideas on how to proceed. Anybody got any? I'm attaching a picture of the strawberry so you can see what you think.

Sylvie45 12-15-2011 05:07 AM

I think that strawberry would make a wonderful quilt - very unique. I would piece together various red squares, cut out the strawberry shape, sew a background of your choice, cut out the green part and machine applique on the background. OR - I am sure someone could figure out a pattern in EQ for you. I have a pieced duck pattern (one large yellow duck) so this would be the same idea. Good luck. Post pictures when you have it finished.

sandilee 12-15-2011 02:47 PM

I made my daughter a 'Strawberry Shortcake quilt" when she was 3 yrs old. She still has it.

Tartan 12-15-2011 03:23 PM

Your clip art picture is very nice. You could trace the shapes for machine or hand applique depending on your expertise. You could also look through your stash and find straberry fabric? If you had some, you could do something simple like Warm Wishes with the strawberry material in the big squares with green, red and white for the stripes. That is if it would not look too much like the Italian flag.:D

Vanogay 12-15-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sylvie45 (Post 4782887)
I think that strawberry would make a wonderful quilt - very unique. I would piece together various red squares, cut out the strawberry shape, sew a background of your choice, cut out the green part and machine applique on the background. OR - I am sure someone could figure out a pattern in EQ for you. I have a pieced duck pattern (one large yellow duck) so this would be the same idea. Good luck. Post pictures when you have it finished.

I like the idea of making your own fabric by sewing a background of reddish/orange fabrics and then cut out the berry with your 1/4" for needle turn. You could do the same with the greens. It would be unique and so very different. Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you're finished!