Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a new seam ripper!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-new-seam-ripper-t6198.html)

kathyd 04-15-2008 05:54 PM

As much as I hate to admit it ... I need a new seam ripper. The one I prefer to use is about 5 inches long and very narrow. I have had it for over 20 years and the point is poking through the end of the cap when it's on. Ouch!! I have smaller ones but they seem to get lost in my hand as well as the drawer of my sewing desk. I saw the Ergonomic Seam Ripper by Fons and Porter and was wondering if it was a good one. Any comments?

barnbum 04-15-2008 06:16 PM

I take out so many stitches my smokes. :lol:

Knot Sew 04-16-2008 04:01 AM

I could not get along with just one seam ripper.....I make a mess qwhen I sew and everthing is all over. I get seam rippers that are about 7 inches long at the dollar stores.........I have about 6 .......toss them when they are dull........if i am lucky i can find one when i need it :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

Brenda Retzlaff 04-16-2008 04:04 AM

I'm going to give your tiny scissors idea a try. Thanks :D

tlrnhi 04-16-2008 04:49 AM

I have about 10 seam rippers floating around my sewing room. I lose them left and right! I'll put it down and it seems to walk away.

Elizabeth A. 04-16-2008 05:13 AM

Would you believe that yesterday I broke the seam ripper that came with my sewing machine? I've only had it a few days! Now I'm back to the two old ones from dh's set. :( Oh I couldn't use the little scissors, with my thumb I'd hurt worse than when I just sit haunched over seam ripping. :D

3incollege 04-16-2008 05:21 AM

I have a few seam rippers, but my favorite is the Fons and Porter. it is easy to hold, and big enough so you can find it.

tlrnhi 04-16-2008 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by 3incollege
I have a few seam rippers, but my favorite is the Fons and Porter. it is easy to hold, and big enough so you can find it.

Ya know... hubby says that if I clean up my sewing room, I might find them. I keep telling him that if I clean up my sewing room and have EVERYTHING put away, then that will leave empty spaces where I would have to buy MORE fabric!

jbsstrawberry 04-16-2008 05:39 AM

I'm with Loretta on the manicure scissors, they work wonderfully and I found that they actually cause less hand pain than a traditional seam ripper. You can buy them now that have the tiny blades, but longer handles and bigger finger holes (yes thats the technical name for the loopy ends where we stick our fingers LOL). They cost a bit more, but they also last longer. I think they were made for folks with hand problems, arthritis, etc.

Terri, clean girlfriend clean!! Fill those empty spaces LOL

tlrnhi 04-16-2008 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
I'm with Loretta on the manicure scissors, they work wonderfully and I found that they actually cause less hand pain than a traditional seam ripper. You can buy them now that have the tiny blades, but longer handles and bigger finger holes (yes thats the technical name for the loopy ends where we stick our fingers LOL). They cost a bit more, but they also last longer. I think they were made for folks with hand problems, arthritis, etc.

Terri, clean girlfriend clean!! Fill those empty spaces LOL

I'm working on it! Don't rush me!!