Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need to stop stressing about this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-stop-stressing-about-t73433.html)

gale 10-31-2010 10:50 AM

I am working on a top and was having trouble getting my seams to stay lined up. So I started doing the glue, which is helping. Well now, when I get a row stitched, I take off my glasses and look realllllly close to make sure my seams are lined up. WHY am I doing that? If I can't see it without my nose an inch away, why does it matter?? I am stuck in this anal mode worrying about my seams being one thread off and I know it's stupid yet I keep doing it.

And I ripped out two areas to line up the seams better. One was pretty bad though-from before I was using the glue.

Qbee 10-31-2010 10:52 AM

I was doing the same thing and finally my quilting teacher said "Gail....if it is less than 1//8th inch off...LEAVE IT!" LOL....So I am doing a little better now :D

purplefiend 10-31-2010 10:52 AM

Relax! It doesn't have to be perfect! Quilting is supposed to be fun.
If I took my glasses off to look at something close up, I'd see a blur. lol

amma 10-31-2010 10:52 AM

I used to do the same thing gale :roll: I am getting better at the close is good enough mentality. When I quit let it get to me so much, I was much less stressed and enjoyed quilting even more :D:D:D

pojo 10-31-2010 10:53 AM

what kind of glue are you using for the seams

gale 10-31-2010 10:54 AM

I'm using Elmer's School Glue.

And I'm so glad I'm not the only one that does this. :mrgreen:

gale 10-31-2010 10:54 AM

Oh btw, if you use the glue you need to iron it to let it dry completely before sewing over it. At least I think you do and it sounds like a good idea.

MadQuilter 10-31-2010 10:57 AM

Same here - I have a 3x rule. If I take it out twice and on the third try (even with new pieces) it is still off - it stays off.

I found out over time that those "glaring errors" when we see the piece close to our nose WILL disappear once the top is put together and the quilt is quilted. Used to insist that the "glaring error" would just jump up and bite me every time I look at the quilt - and then I literally couldn't even find it later. So I don't stress any longer. I still have my 3x rule though.

retired2pa 10-31-2010 11:23 AM

Relax, gale!!! The Quilt Police aren't going to be visiting any time soon :) If they came every time we (and I mean ALL of us!!) were "off" on our seams, they'd be pretty busy...LOL

No one will know except you...unless you've missed it by a mile (which I doubt)! Quilting hides a multitude of sins, believe me :) Just enjoy the process. The finished project will be great :)

Luv Quilts and Cats 10-31-2010 11:25 AM

Hi Gale,

We are always most critical of our own work. Knowing this, we have to teach ourselves that everything does not have to be perfect. I think you have a good guideline going, if you can't see it with your nose an inch away, it's ok. It's a start.