Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need sugestions! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-sugestions-t205891.html)

Jackie Spencer 11-13-2012 07:32 PM

When I bought my Bernina with BSR, we were supposed to have classes several times to learn everything about our machines and what all they could do. They gave us 1 class for about 4 hours, they rushed though the whole manuel. Afterwards I was so over whelmed I did not remember hardly anything. there were 4 or 5 of us in the class. That was 3 years ago. I have a $ 3,000 machine that I piece on. I learn by someone showing me, and Im not computer savvy. What a waste of a beautiful machine!!

Lori S 11-13-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5655075)
I think a guild or LQS is your best bet if there is not another dealership nearby to help. Is this her first machine, it might help to buy a smaller more portable machine of the same brand for classes and learning the basics of the machine before she tackles the big machine. She might be overwhelmed if it is her first machine

It is definetly not her first machine, she has been sewing for over 70 years.. She bought this because she has looked at the inspirational embroidery pieces that are shown in quilts shops and just drools and looks and just loves them.. This was supposed to be her dream machine. She is a highly skilled sewer.. and just needs to get the hang of this machine , specifically the embroidery part. She has some computer skills and is pretty good about being able to decifer written instuctions.. .its just the manual really does not go very far into specifics. She has been able to attach the embriodery part and do some very very basic things .. but I know she is dissappointed that she can't do alot more.
Whats more interesting there does not seem to be any dealers other than those in Jo'anns in her area. I have looked online for dealerships and called Viking , somehow Jo'anns is the only show in town.

moosie 11-13-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5655310)
......snip......its just the manual really does not go very far into specifics. She has been able to attach the embriodery part and do some very very basic things .. but I know she is dissappointed that she can't do alot more. .

Oh I GET IT now! Thank you for clearing that up. She's a skilled seamstress it's specifically getting her head around the machine embroidery. She actually can use the machine for embroidery it's just all the 'stuff' surrounding the embroidery. Yes the manuals are poor for that subject you are right.

Frankly I'd wanted to do machine embroidery and like your mom was a skilled seamstress just never had a machine capable of using embroidery patterns, only free hand embroidery. I first read this book: Digitizing Made Easy by John Deer.

That helped me understand about basic digitizing but left me clueless on choosing stabilizers, hooping, draw-in etc... So I searched and found Trevor Conquergood:
http://www.sunsetstitches.com/blog/

Trevor comes from a family who made their living machine embroidering. I started taking his classes. They are mostly on digitizing and using digitizer software but I learned so much about why they are digitized this way, editing purchased designs etc... and I improved so much. Have your mom take a look through Trevor's site. Then she can subscribe if she likes what she sees. It's only $10.00/mo and you can go to 2 live Webinars/month for that and get a link to download the recorded webinars during the months you were subscribed. Even though some of the information didn't apply it certainly helped. I can't say enough good about Trevor.

I'd also send her to the local library and to Amazon for a couple of these general type of books surrounding the basics of Machine Embroidery (between 3 general books/Trevor/and a couple good forums she should be fixed up):
http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Embroi...ref=pd_sim_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/Embroidery-Mac...ref=pd_sim_b_3 (Twigg's books are good)

Essentially if she has put the module on and been able to work a small piece then she doesn't need a Ruby dedicated book just a book on how to embroidery and if she ends up with a machine specific question I'd bet someone here or on patternreview.com could fix her up. Oh and tell your mom how lucky she is her daughter is so concerned with helping her out, you are sweet.

gotta-sew 11-13-2012 09:31 PM

I think hands on is usually best for everyone. I know where I live I teach Embroidery Club every month and it is free. We also have embroidery retreats every couple of months, where you spend the whole day with us and sew a number of different items. A great way to learn. So if we do this in my area, I would think something like this might be available in her area as well. Maybe online tutorials? Just thinking out loud. Best of luck :)

newbee3 11-13-2012 09:37 PM

I have a viking topaz 30 and I think if she could just read the manual and it should show how to hoop and stabalize the designs are programmed in the machine she should be okay . If she liked it she could learn more things

jemma 11-14-2012 02:24 AM

i have pfaff embroidery machine---i have used sewing machines for 40+ years--there is no way i could have learned how to do embroidery without 'bearsingrey'method of teaching it is a whole new world--and yes i am afraid- moosie- you can break them --they do not take too kindly to being moved around they are very sensitive---if you can arrange a tutor in your mums home that would i feel have the best outcome-----embroidery is soo much fun

alleyoop1 11-14-2012 05:29 AM

I believe Viking has video classes on their web site: http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/19211.htm. Also Youtube has many videos that she can watch.

alleyoop1 11-14-2012 05:31 AM

Jackie,
Sorry you had a bad experience with your Bernina shop. The shop I use has guide classes going on frequently and you can attend them more than once! (I had to go twice) Also check out the Bernina web site and you tube for videos that will help. I bought a Bernina quilt frame and found a you tube video on how to assemble it - much more helpful than the printed instructions.

Crqltr 11-14-2012 06:00 AM

If floriani is oing a embroidery seminar in her area it s a great way to learn about stableizers and thread. The cost is usually 30.00 and they cover all types.

Cherylsea 11-14-2012 07:05 AM

Craftsy.com has a class, Stupendous Stitching - it isn't really embroidery but uses the decorative stitches to make a lovely wallhanging.
If she can put the hoop on, load a design ... the screen will tell her Color #1, you do that, then Color #2. It is better to do a practice piece first and take notes on color placement! Then you can do the "for real" embroidery with colors of your choosing. It really is just a matter of doing. If she wants to digitize etc then she needs the embroidery software which is another big expense. The Ruby is a great machine and using it is really pretty easy. The very worst part is not having a dealer anywhere close by - makes a lot of difference.