Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I stumbled upon something very cool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-stumbled-upon-something-very-cool-t211105.html)

PJisChaos 01-18-2013 04:37 PM

I have used those in a pinch for a long time myself, I only have trouble with the yellow(as mentioned) and the orange ones. I just finished a quilt that had been marked with yellow, orange, and blue highlighters 4 yrs ago(I prefer these since they are the same size as a pen). After making a "solution" of a quarter cup of powdered laundry soap(Purex) and a bowl of warm water, I used a soft hand cleaning brush to apply it to the marks. I was just so sure they would never come out so I freaked and pre-soaked them, just in case. I must say, I was impressed as all the marks came out on the first wash! Even the orange marks. I had ironed, steamed, re-marked and left those marks in all this time and still got them out. I agree with the one(s) that mentioned the artists pencils as well, I have yet to have a problem getting them out either.

hunters grammy 01-19-2013 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hartllk (Post 5792064)
Frixion pens work extremely well for marking fabric too. When you iron the fabric the ink disappears. HONEST. You can buy these pens at Staples.

I read an interesting thing about these pens...The ink disappears, but if the temperature of the quilt is exposed to 32 degrees or less, the ink re-appears. I have never used these pens and tried this experiment, but a friend told me this will happen. Maybe you just shouldn't take the quilt to any outiside winter activities...?

Aria 01-19-2013 07:23 AM

I use soap slivers to mark my quilts. Being soap, it always "comes out in the wash" ! :) Of course, it's obvious this method works better on medium to dark fabrics.

Barbshobbies 01-19-2013 07:32 AM

This sounds good, but one day my grandson left a washable marker on a large white dish towel and it bled out on the towel. My daughter said not to worry it would come out. as soon as they left I washed it and it did not all come out, and as long as I had it you see a blue spot on it. Not to be a downer, You might want to try it on scraps first. You have so much work in quilts to have a spot on it. And yes it was a washable pen.

Judith Annette 01-19-2013 04:13 PM

Thank you, good to know

chris_quilts 01-20-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by cmierley (Post 5792116)
Talking about marking a quilt, has anyone used freezer paper to free motion quilt a design? If so, does the paper come off in the wash? I hate ripping it off because its ripping off some of my stitches no matter how much I try holding the stitches down.

I use parchment paper, baking paper, for my stencils that I quilt onto my quilts. It does rip easily and leaves the stitching intact plus it can be found relatively easily in the baking aisle at the grocery store. I hope this helps you.