Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I tried the fun and done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-tried-fun-done-t93756.html)

patchitpat 01-25-2011 10:48 AM

Its me again...........

I tried the fun and done on a couple of extra blocks that I had and I like the concept very much.

I think that with these blocks tho that I have in mind to do the sashing might just be too wide,

wondering if I can get away safely without using the l" bigger all around?

What do you think?

Thanks, Pat

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-25-2011 10:50 AM

I would think you could use less than 1 inch all around. As long as you can sew it together and fold it over nicely, it seems like any size would do. Try it on scraps and see what you get.

Izaquilter 01-25-2011 11:06 AM

OMG the Fun & Done! I bought like 4 patterns while at the Paducah quilt show & once I got them home, I don't think there's any way I am going to do these patterns! The small quilt calls for 13 yds. of fabric just for the backing? I couldn't believe it. Yeah it's a wonderful idea but there must be lots of waste to this pattern??? I dunno, I haven't tried it but just reading the instructions I was blown away by the amount of fabric this took. Did I misinterpete it?

patchitpat 01-25-2011 11:40 AM

Thats exactly what I thought, about how much it takes but I have them all cut, just don't care for the wide sashing on this one anyways.

patchitpat 01-25-2011 11:43 AM

THere are a lot of free patterns for quilts as you go, fun and done or flip and sew, my problem is I'm doing a bed size quilt and I do NOT like handsewing AT ALL.

I imagine (but I'm not sure how) you could sew the rows of a quilt together onto a large length of batting but I'm unsure if I do that just how I'd sew the blocks together.

I'm so confused and confusing I know.

I've got this all cut out I don't want it to go in my UFO box lol.

nativetexan 01-25-2011 11:52 AM

I've done it smaller on "framed" individual hexagons. looks good. so yes, you should be able to. 1/2 inch should fold over halfway toward the top block edge, then again over the top of the block.that will show 1/4 inch.

bobbie1 01-25-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
OMG the Fun & Done! I bought like 4 patterns while at the Paducah quilt show & once I got them home, I don't think there's any way I am going to do these patterns! The small quilt calls for 13 yds. of fabric just for the backing? I couldn't believe it. Yeah it's a wonderful idea but there must be lots of waste to this pattern??? I dunno, I haven't tried it but just reading the instructions I was blown away by the amount of fabric this took. Did I misinterpete it?

I did the fun and done. It was throw size and took 3 1/2 yards for the backing and 5 extra fabrics and they were 1 1/4 yd each. It was not hard to put together. All done on sewing machine. I wouldn't use less than what they call for for the seam allowance. I personally needed that much to be able to fold down twice.

scisyb220 01-25-2011 12:05 PM

I took a class on Fun n Done and made a table runner. Haven't gotten up the nerve to do a full size quilt. The blocks get put together in rows, then you put together the rows. And bobbie 1 is right, don't allow less than what they call for on the seam allowance. When it is all put together it is wonderul and no hand sewing. :-) S