Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I used my design wall as an ironing surface. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-used-my-design-wall-ironing-surface-t200565.html)

BellaBoo 09-15-2012 01:17 PM

I used my design wall as an ironing surface.

1 Attachment(s)
I dread working with backing. It's big, it's hard to wrangle on a ironing table much less a regular ironing board. It gets all wrinkled up about as fast as I can iron it. I had this big 108" wide backing fabric and it was full of folds and wrinkles. I pinned it to my design wall and had it ironed in about 5 min. I will spray baste the batting and quilt top on it and then fold and move it up to get the lower section ironed. The ironing is keeping the fabric snug on the wall, it is clinging very tight. [ATTACH=CONFIG]362950[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 09-15-2012 01:40 PM

interesting technique :)
thanks for sharing

dunster 09-15-2012 01:40 PM

The best discovery I've made lately is that I can take all the wrinkles out of quilt backing on the longarm. Just load the backing, stretch the first section, mist finely with water, and the wrinkles disappear like magic. Roll to the next section, repeat, voila! And no ironing. I do usually let each section dry before rolling to the next section.

BellaBoo 09-15-2012 02:01 PM

I'll remember that tip Dunstar if I ever give in and buy a long arm. I may decide to get serious about finding one.

momto5 09-15-2012 07:55 PM

I do what Dunster does if my backing really needs ironing...much easier!

Jan in VA 09-15-2012 08:48 PM

What is your design wall made of? What is under the batting/flannel? I'm wondering if mine of foam insulation board would melt if used like this.

Jan in VA

BellaBoo 09-15-2012 09:04 PM

It is the foam insulation with the silver backing I bought at Lowe's and it's covered in felt. No problem with the heat. I figured it was insulation so it would insulate. I didn't use steam but I did spray starch the backing a little.

Jan in VA 09-16-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5517463)
It is the foam insulation with the silver backing I bought at Lowe's and it's covered in felt. No problem with the heat. I figured it was insulation so it would insulate. I didn't use steam but I did spray starch the backing a little.

Thanks, Bella. Mine does not have the silver backing, but I have a smaller piece of the blue foam board and I think I'll try it today. Bought a new iron at WM last night when mine just stopped heating in the midst of a project, so I'll be sure to cover the board with something so nothing gets on the new iron!

A recent finished commission was the first time I've heavily starched the backing and top -- ala Sharon Schamber -- and I'm not sure that I noticed a whole lot of difference from the way I've done lot for years. I still have a new can of starch, so I'll try it again at some point.

Jan in VA