Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas for "man colors" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-%22man-colors%22-t23033.html)

trugger 07-21-2009 02:20 AM

I am trying to decide on a quilt design and palatte for my cousin.
She's asked me to keep in mind that her husband does share the bedroom, too, and would prefer something that, in her terms... is "a more feminine design using man colors"

Sounds simple enough, eh?

So, I've eliminated pink, purple, white, and at their request, green.

I know that there's a whole color wheel to choose from, but I'm stuck on "feminine design with man colors"

Have you ever had such a request? When I'm thinking of quilt design, unless it is for a very pink little girl, I don't really divide my ideas into fem/mas designs or man/woman colors...

Part of me thinks that darker no floral will be "mannish" enough for the job - and most common/traditional quilt patterns will work.

Thoughts?

STAR 07-21-2009 02:29 AM

Darker solids and simple prints sound good, definetly no floral. I think just about any design would be ok with the right colors. Do they both like wildlife? because you could use a wildlife print in the quilt for the "man" element. Maybe even brighten itup but use more modern geometric designed material. I think thats enough from me :oops:
GoodLuck :lol:

BlueChicken 07-21-2009 02:32 AM

What about pale creams, fawns, and baby blue? They're soft versions of man colours. :-)

quilterella 07-21-2009 02:39 AM

Earth tones are always a safe bet for a man's colour palette. Start with a cream and go 3-4 graduations, light brown and go 3-4 graduations and so on, right through to the blues and yes! blacks... Depending on what pattern you are doing and the numbers of colours needed. Log cabin is also a safe bet for a pattern, depending on the size of the quilt, the blocks can be arranged in so many interesting variations. Good Luck...

ghostrider 07-21-2009 04:18 AM

You could take your cues from what's in his closet. Men don't wear colors they don't like or those they don't feel 'manly' wearing.

bearisgray 07-21-2009 05:00 AM

did you see the"manly" quilt that Eddie made ?

It's somewhere in the picture section.

How about plaids and stripes?

The "manly colors with a feminine design" would throw me, too.

Maybe she's talking about the fabrics, and not the quilt design?

One could go with the fall palette - or patriotic (red, white, and blue) - patriotic might be different colors for different countries?

How about having her go shopping with you for the fabrics? Or at least have her say "This would work, etc." - until you have a pattern picked out, you may not know amounts to purchase

bearisgray 07-21-2009 05:01 AM

Are any of you old enough to remember when pink and charcoal gray were considered really cool colors for guys?

They never wore pink pants, but they did wear pink shirts.

trugger 07-21-2009 05:24 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.
I'm glad to see that it IS a tricky one for y'all too!

kluedesigns 07-21-2009 05:52 AM

i'd stay away from anything floral - actually i'd stay away from all novelty prints but thats just me - i see them as feminine regardless of the design.

if you have to use a pattern i'd go for a paisley. all colors are good except the pastels. red is a nice color thats pleasing to both men and women.

i'd opt for solids, blenders, tone on tone, etc - these fabrics are gender neutral - batiks would be nice.

then for a pattern i'd do a D9P - its a lovely geometric design, is to put together, and is gender neutral.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-21-2009 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Are any of you old enough to remember when pink and charcoal gray were considered really cool colors for guys?

They never wore pink pants, but they did wear pink shirts.

Here in Montreal, pink is still very fashionable for men, especially for dress shirts :) I'm guessing it's made a comeback.