Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas for none cotton fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-none-cotton-fabrics-t74496.html)

JT 11-06-2010 01:33 PM

I just finished a rag throw with flannel on one side and corduroy on the other. Of the quilts I've made, this one is my husbands favorite.

Annaleehunter 11-06-2010 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Craig's List and Freecycle are also good options.. I think I'll wait until I've done everything I possibly can with it first.. Thank you for reminding me of those organizations.

I'm not as concerned with making money as I am with it being used one way or another..

I make rag quilts with corduroy and flannel. I use almost anything as a lightweight batting if I feel I must bat! I just finished one and used a very heavy sheet from goodwill for batting.

Judie 11-07-2010 05:46 PM

All good ideas.. Just wish I had 3 lifetimes to make things from all this fabric.. That's a part of the problem, I could sew everything I ever make from now on using her fabric. Which might be good, but I'd have to keep her house to store it all in!!

I love flannel/corduroy throws.. cozy and comfy.

Rann 11-07-2010 09:24 PM

Nursing homes and senior citizens centers would probably love to have some of it. I donated yarn to a nursing home not long ago. They were thrilled.

Leota 11-07-2010 09:33 PM

check the local theater costume shop... they will love it.
Also, if there are groups that sew clothes for children to have new clothes for school and Easter time...

Tippy 11-07-2010 10:07 PM

I'd contact the college in Springfield.. I'll bet the arts department could use it for textile classes, theatre and all sorts of things.

Judie 11-08-2010 09:23 PM

You have given me lots of great ideas.. thank you everyone for your good thoughts and quick responses... I'm sure a lot of people will have some of it. IT will go to good use and not fill up our landfill, I just couldn't do that!!
Next thing to do is get it all separated so I know just what's there and start calling some people.

Thank you again.. You've encouraged me.

rahaube 11-08-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Perhaps some of you have had to do this same thing, I'm hoping I can benefit from your experience!

My sweet MIL just passed away a month ago.. She was a professional seamstress and also managed a So-Fro Fabrics for years.. You can only guess at the amount of fabric she has in her house. The cotton yardage isn't a problem.. but the 'silkies', home-dec., canvas, double knits, single knits, corduroy, pre-quilted fabrics and every other kind of fabric you can imagine are! I don't have a clue what I can do with a hundred yards of polyester silkies and knits.

It feels wrong to toss it, it's beautiful and our land fills don't need it.. I would hate to do that, but what do I do with all this fabric that no one is wearing these days??

I suggest you find someone who wants to do quits for the homeless. Polyester double knits are very durable and work well for quilts made with larger pieces and knotted. Single knits work well for backings. Canvas and home dec fabrics make great tote bags for school children. Our women's group made totes and filled them with school supplies for an orphan school in Ghana. This can be done for any area in need. Hope these ideas are of help to you.

Judie 11-08-2010 09:49 PM

Thanks Rahaube, Those were excellent suggestions. I will be making a lot of calls in no time at all.. I'm making a lot of the double knits into lap quilts for a near-by nursing/rehab center.. I know how much they will use them!There are always lots of needy that can use a nice warm blanket to wrap up in.