Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas for quilt group challenges (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-quilt-group-challenges-t202334.html)

busy fingers 10-04-2012 11:58 PM

Ideas for quilt group challenges

I am currently secretary for my quilt group and they have asked if I will take on the job of president early next year which I am very happy to do so.

I was hoping to come up with some interesting group challenges and I am thinking that this would be the best place to ask if anyone can help me come up with some different challenges.

One I had in mind was for the members to make an item of their choice - be it from a mug rug to a king size quilt - but the challenge is the main/focus fabric had to be a colour starting with the same letter as their christian name. ie Maureen would use mauve or maroon or she could be creative and use brown and call it mud or orange and call it marmalade. What would you think if you were presented with such a challenge - thumbs up /down.

I would be very grateful for any input from you very talented ladies. Thank you.

rush88888 10-05-2012 12:09 AM

i was in a group challenge where we pulled two colors out of a hat full of crayons. this could be done with paint chips, too. your game sounds good, too.

quiltyfeelings 10-05-2012 02:27 AM

We did the crayon thing, too....only we had to make a three color quilt by adding black and white to our crayon color!

quiltyfeelings 10-05-2012 02:29 AM

We did a theme, too. The last one was "cats." we all had to make a quilt using at least one cat fabric. Last spring, we were each given a half yard of the same fabric. That was amazing to see how 30 people used the exact same fabric! We had 30 very different quilts!

QuiltnNan 10-05-2012 03:21 AM

we had a challenge where a member would put 3 fabrics in a paper bag. the bags were exchanged and the recipient had to make a mini quilt from the fabrics. the recipient could add one more fabric from her own stash if she wanted.

ghostrider 10-05-2012 04:56 AM

I've read about other groups that used the name/color challenge and they had a ball getting creative with color names to match their first names. It would make me glad my name isn't Zelda (well, lots of things make me glad my name isn't Zelda, but that's another one :o ), my J name would be hard enough. I think it's a great idea! Go for it!!

Tartan 10-05-2012 05:37 AM

I think the initial colour challenge I would like better than a colour chosen for me. Go for it!

QuiltE 10-05-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5563386)
I've read about other groups that used the name/color challenge and they had a ball getting creative with color names to match their first names. It would make me glad my name isn't Zelda (well, lots of things make me glad my name isn't Zelda, but that's another one :o ), my J name would be hard enough. I think it's a great idea! Go for it!!

Yes, you can get pretty creative on the names ...... look at paint colours and how the "name" seldom has much to do with the colour, you could pretty much make it any colour you liked!

J .... Jasmine, Juniper, Jelly Bean, Jungle, Juice,

Z .... ?????????

ghostrider 10-05-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5564138)
Z .... ?????????

Zinc white
Zaffre (a shade of blue)
Zucchini (green, obviously)
Zinnwaldite (a shade of pinkish brown/flesh)

Anything is possible with the internet! LOL

QuiltE 10-05-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5564200)
Zinc white
Zaffre (a shade of blue)
Zucchini (green, obviously)
Zinnwaldite (a shade of pinkish brown/flesh)

Anything is possible with the internet! LOL

Funny enough, I was thinking Zucchini after I posted ... and thought it could be white for the inside or green for the outside! :)