Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-somebody-were-giving-you-stash-crafts-etc-what-point-would-you-say-no-more-t35116.html)

Mousie 01-27-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
actually, I have bought a few pieces of brown in the past year, bc they say it makes a nice neutral and goes with everything.
I like it ok, but I'm with you...don't need a lot of it.

<shiver> the only brown i own was given to me to specifically go with something already in the works. i would never plan brown. or mustard. yeeks. life can be depressing enough. so if i had to make space, brown would go, go, go! :lol:

Ok, I guess it's ok to presume you don't do roast beef on wheat bread with Grey Poupon:wink:

butterflywing 01-27-2010 07:11 PM

my roast beef is red, and my bread is white rolls and my grey mustard is ... well ... grey. :mrgreen:

Therese 01-27-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
actually, I have bought a few pieces of brown in the past year, bc they say it makes a nice neutral and goes with everything.
I like it ok, but I'm with you...don't need a lot of it.

<shiver> the only brown i own was given to me to specifically go with something already in the works. i would never plan brown. or mustard. yeeks. life can be depressing enough. so if i had to make space, brown would go, go, go! :lol:

I'm with you on this! I like bright , fun colors or tranquil blues and greens... I have a friend who LOVES browns--I enjoyed introducing her to brights!!!

tkhooper 02-14-2010 04:42 PM

I have a three bedroom house and I live alone. I'd be willing to buy shelves and stack crafts to the ceiling in the master bedroom which is really big. I would do it just like the library does books to get maximum storage.

But I do have a rule of only having the supplies for the project I am currently working on. That's because I at one time accumulated 5 1/2 years worth of craft projects. And all I was doing was moving them from one place to another.

Mousie 02-14-2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I have a three bedroom house and I live alone. I'd be willing to buy shelves and stack crafts to the ceiling in the master bedroom which is really big. I would do it just like the library does books to get maximum storage.

But I do have a rule of only having the supplies for the project I am currently working on. That's because I at one time accumulated 5 1/2 years worth of craft projects. And all I was doing was moving them from one place to another.

Mousie: well, due to a fixed income and EVERYTHING going up, now that 2010 is underway...bills, health insurance coverage, meds...light bill, you name it...grrrr!
I will be shopping mostly from stash for quite some time.
So i guess I am about at my limit with what I have.
I'd still like to know the answer to my original question, that some answered:
what is YOUR limit?

tkhooper, thanks for responding.
I thought more ppl would talk about their stash, but seems a lot of quilters feel guilty about it.
Don't know why. It is, what it is, and don't we love it?:XD:

Julie in NM 02-14-2010 06:06 PM

I lost my sewing room when my mother moved in with us...alz and bed ridden. So I got real creative. Fab, quilts, and ufos are stored under everyones bed in Space Bags..just love those suckers. Bought 66 gal plastic containers to store my fab and all 16 of them are stacked against a wall in our bedroom. I did give up a corner of our dining room for my sewing table and and dining table doubles as cutting area. Just hate it when it's time to eat. I don't have any more places to store any more fab so I have reached my limit. right now I'm going through all the container, refolding evrything into smaller bundles and dontatint the old, odd, never will be use fabric to my quilt group. We meet this Tuesday and can't wait to get rid of this stuff. We're anticipating a cross country move so need to purge.

Julie in NM

PurplePassion 02-14-2010 06:13 PM

Mousie, I don't have a limit. I have an addiction. I have tons of fabric and keep telling myself that I don't need any more till I empty out one plastic tub. Well , I was in Walmart in a different town and found the most beautiful purple and yellow Peony Collection. And I thought that would make a beautiful quilt of some sorts. Altho I have never seen a peony that was purple or yellow. So I bought all 5 prints that went together; getting 4-6 yards of each because I didn't know what I was going to make and wanted to make sure I had enough whenever I get around to it. :roll:

craftybear 02-14-2010 08:09 PM

Hi,

What kinds of things did you get? You know I have been cleaning my house and donating things to others.

Last year I took clothes, shoes, purses down to a local nursing home and they loved the idea of getting donations. So I took more stuff to them! I got a nice thank you note from them and she told me in person wish more people would do that as those people in the nursing homes don't have much and no family.

Also I had lots of coloring books and things for kids so I took that stuff to a daycare. They were thrilled with the items, puzzels, maps etc.

Karen

Quilter2B 02-14-2010 08:31 PM

My husband and I stopped at a yard sale yesterday. Even though I have stuff in the garage, in my sewing room closet, in the bookcase, on my cutting table, in my sewing table, I told him we shouldn't have stopped 'CAUSE SHE HAD FABRIC!!!!! I ended up walking away with about 12 yards for $10 bucks - two smallest pieces were 1/2 yards and one piece was 5 yds. Even though I tell myself I can't buy anymore at the fabric store, I just couldn't leave it behind. :oops:

JEM65 02-14-2010 09:07 PM

I make donations of fabric and craft projects/supplies to my local need center along with clothes and household goods.