Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If Somebody Were Giving You Stash and Crafts, etc. At What Point Would You Say, No More? :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-somebody-were-giving-you-stash-crafts-etc-what-point-would-you-say-no-more-t35116.html)

Mousie 01-25-2010 06:35 PM

I have been cleaning and organizing for weeks in my sewing room.
My dear sweet brother, who loves me very much, brings me all of my mother's quilty stuff, bc she can't see anymore.
I'm not saying no, btw!
But trying to rearrange and find creative ways to store more...he's been bringing stuff to me for a couple years...sometimes bags, boxes, and sometimes just a handful he has found...all over their house ;)
(seems the creative hiding gene runs in the family ;) )...
Got to thinking about my grandma who used to own her own craft store, is in her nineties and pays rent on storage units to keep her stuff in...more to that saga, lol...
So, I began to wonder...do we, or when do we, say, "thanks, but I've got enough."
I'm not being funny...I'm serious as a wee mouse can try to be...what would make you stop? How full does your house have to be? (it's ok to prove a point with pictures if you just have to.... :mrgreen: )

mimisharon 01-25-2010 06:38 PM

You are blessed! Take it, sort what you WANT and give away or sell the rest. No one says you have to keep everything. I'm hoping to go through some of my craft things and give them away at our guild meeting. I don't do much more than sew now, not like the old days when I tried to do everything.

Hugs, Mousie

sewjoyce 01-25-2010 06:40 PM

I agree with mimisharon -- you don't have to try to keep it ALL (although that would be nice, wouldn't it?) The stuff that you really don't like either donate or sell on the board here -- we would love to see/buy it! :D :D

susiequilt 01-25-2010 06:41 PM

I'd probably take it all since I'd be afraid brother would just throw it away. I would hope I could pass it on if I didn't think I would use something. Good luck!

JanetM 01-25-2010 06:42 PM

I would accept all of it. Go through everything, keep what you think you will use and donate the rest to charity.

Your local ASG would gladly take fabrics and often times Community Senior Centers have a need for all kinds of crafts. I'm sure you will be able to find many organizations that would be very appreciative of any donation.

kimbie 01-25-2010 06:44 PM

Don't turn it down. You never know what might come your way.

After you sort, decide what you want to keep, ask your crafty friends, ask at the guild, ask at church, or give to anyone you know might really appreciate certain things.

After that, school teachers (Kindergarten, art, etc) are always grateful for things they can use with their class for lessons.

How lucky you are!

MamaBear61 01-25-2010 06:46 PM

There is always someone in need, maybe there is a local group or organization who can use what you can't by making blankets etc for the homeless or women's shelters or something. If you put the word out I am sure that what you can't use and/or sell will come in handy somewhere

dglvr 01-25-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I agree with mimisharon -- you don't have to try to keep it ALL (although that would be nice, wouldn't it?) The stuff that you really don't like either donate or sell on the board here -- we would love to see/buy it! :D :D

Ditto.

Mousie 01-25-2010 06:53 PM

oh, but mimi...I can't say no...I are Mousie, and i are addicted...LOL...no is not in my quilty vocabulary.
I just wondered how much stuff ppl would be willing to accumulate before they were satisfied?
Grandma has rental units, a bus in her back yard, full...and a path through her house, and she lost tons, when water got in the cellar.
I day dream that my uncle will pass it all to me, but it would fill my backyard!
Actually, they live over a thous. from me, so not likely to happen...sniff, sniff, sniff...
Don't get me wrong!...I love gma dearly, but she is 93...just saying....it's got to go sooomewhere????:mrgreen:

Mousie 01-25-2010 06:54 PM

thats what I'm doing...keeping the stuff I like! :wink: