Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you could buy just ONE... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-could-buy-just-one-t6496.html)

Celeste 04-27-2008 03:22 PM

Yes! What a great guy! I think he LOVES you! :mrgreen:

blahel 04-27-2008 09:08 PM

what a lovely thing for him to do..you must feel special..

Shadow Dancer 04-27-2008 09:38 PM

Rotary Magic is my quilting bible. :)

fabricluvr 04-28-2008 07:05 AM

what a sweet husband! i think he made splendid choices! haven't heard of the first book you listed, but the reversible one by s. pederson comes highly recommended and you can't go wrong with the quilt block book!

have fun! and happy birthday!

p.s. *stack a new deck* gets good reviews on amazon.com!

Aaleigha 04-28-2008 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by fabricluvr
what a sweet husband! i think he made splendid choices! haven't heard of the first book you listed, but the reversible one by s. pederson comes highly recommended and you can't go wrong with the quilt block book!

have fun! and happy birthday!

p.s. *stack a new deck* gets good reviews on amazon.com!

Thanks girls -
Patty thank you when he said he had chosen books for me I did sort of cringe rather - wondering what he might have come up with - I have know doubt she chatted up some poor woman and asked her advice

I have been reading the reversible quilts one today and its fascinating - I have already fallen in love with the ideas in that book :)

Rose Marie 04-28-2008 01:44 PM

I have both of the Stack the deck books. The first one I used for my first two quilts. It was fun and easy, a great start for a beginner. The second book is more complecated and I dont care for it.
I have collected many books. Some I order online at Abe Books, they only charge $1.00 for most of them but you do have to pay shipping.
Hamilton bookseller is a good source and you can get most books for around $5.00 and shipping is 3.50 for the whole order.
My favorite books are Eleanor Burns because she is so in tune to detail even to the simplest ways to make piecing cuts. I buy her sampler quilt books at Joanns and use coupons for discounts.
You do need a basic instruction book, which I found at Borders on the clearance rack for $5.00
Shop around, you can find some great bargains.

waldosmom 04-30-2008 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
I'm a new member who's been lurking for a while but this post got me to finally post a message. Just wanted to say that Stack a New Deck by Karla Alexander is one of my absolute favorite books. I've made two of the quilts from that book and have recommended it to several friends. And it's a great book for beginners who aren't yet comfortable with quarter-inch seams, because you sew the pieces together and then trim the whole block to size at the end. Your husband did a great job!

I'm attaching a picture of one of the quilts I made from this book.

Happy belated birthday!

charity quilt made with the Red Onion pattern from Stack a New Deck by Karla Alexander
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1068[/ATTACH]

fabricluvr 04-30-2008 05:22 AM

waldosmom - that is a BEAUTIFUL quilt! i love the colors! i'm going to have to check out that book!

thanks for sharing and welcome!

waldosmom 04-30-2008 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks fabricluvr! You might also like this one that I made for my brother, same pattern but larger and in a different color combination.

I think this forum could get addictive... :)

Aaleigha 04-30-2008 07:01 AM

Those quilts are amazing - thank you so much for sharing them with me
its so inspiring to see things people have made from a book I am lucky enough to own

I have now read the book from cover to cover

I have some lovely fabric and I was all ready to make a quilt for a baby and had an idea

NOW I have to many ideas and just cant get started :)

I think I might end up putting all the names of the things I like and have enough fabric for into a hat and pulling out one and then just start it -

you all know that saying
I used to be indecisive and now I am not sure (well I am now very sure it was written with me and quilting in mind :lol: )