Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you could buy just ONE... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-could-buy-just-one-t6496.html)

Aaleigha 04-25-2008 01:14 AM

...quilting book - which one would it be

which is your quilting bible

on Sunday I have been invited to the stitch and craft show at shepton mallet here in the UK so they will have many fabrics to fondle and some I will buy they will also have at least one book stall
so I want your recommendations on the best books

from all your recommendations I can then make up a short list and purchase maybe 3 or 4 :)

thanks in advance for your help and advice

patricej 04-25-2008 01:22 AM

Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns, compiled by Barbara Brackman.

There are no actual patterns - only illustrations. Buts it's the best reference on the planet when you need inspiration or want to find out whether or not a block is in the Public Domain.

Quilting Aggi 04-25-2008 02:56 AM

My Around the Block 3 book series.. they seem to be the main books to go for. I tend to make a bunch of different sampler blocks for various projects. They show lots of use

Aaleigha 04-25-2008 06:04 AM

Thanks for those ideas
they are on the list of books to look for on SUnday

blahel 04-25-2008 07:12 PM

if you like paper piecing maybe a book by Carole Doak as a lot of people seem to like her books and that is a book i am going to get next..if you go on her website she has all her books and kits listed there.

Cathe 04-26-2008 05:51 AM

The Quilters Complete Guide by Fons and Porter

ABSOLUTELY! :D

Aaleigha 04-26-2008 06:22 AM

thanks everyone I am writing these down to see what I can get tomorrow

its great as all of you experienced peeps have your own favourites :)

sewbusy 04-27-2008 07:23 AM

I have THE COMPLETE BOOK OF QUILTING by Gianna Valli Berti and it has a wonderful selection to offer. I really like it. My step-daughter and family got it for me several years ago for my birthday. You might check it out if it's available.

Aaleigha 04-27-2008 09:48 AM

Well everyone I am back after a really long day (its 6.30pm here in the UK)

I looked at all the books and couldnt find any of the recommended ones

so I didnt bother to get any as I will try the bookshop for those recommended
but as I was unpacking the shopping I did find some rather stunning fat quarters (I wonder how they found their way here :lol: )
some quilting safety pins a big 24 x 6 quilting ruler, a purple marking pen some beautiful threads some are metalics some silk and others rayon so some lovely threads that I am sure I can put to good use

and last but not least to come out of the car was my birthday present

while I was off helping my friend run her stall my DH went and bought me an embroidery machine and three quilting books - please remember girls he knows nothing about sewing let alone quilting but he does know of my love for books

he bought three very very different kinds of books (he knows about Shellys wonderful offer for lessons)

he bought be
stack a new deck by Karla Alexander reversible quilts by sharon pederson
and 5,500 quilt block designs by maggie malone
now they may not be the best choices in the world but I do have a wonderful wonderful husband who encourages my artistic yearnings each book he chose is very different

sewbusy 04-27-2008 12:42 PM

I think he is a keeper, much happiness with all your new stuff.